Thanks to Ladies Home Journal for this one...and it's a crock pot one to boot!
Here's the finished product - I served it over mashed potatoes - not sure why - but they were easy and available.
We had to substitute a little - couldn't find sofrito at Biggs and no cilantro at the end - but other than that - we were good.
It was tasty but not near as good as Bootsy's...
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lbs flank steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sofrito
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet, Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add steak and brown well on both sides, about 5 min. Transfer to a 4-qt slow cooker if using, with all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Cook until meat is fork-tender, 10 to 12 hr on low or 5 to 6 hr on high for slow cooker or 3 hr at a simmer on the stove.
2. Remove meat; shred and return to stew. Serve with cilantro and beans if desired. Makes 6 servings.