I'm trying to cook more - which means planning ahead - not one of my strong points. Now that I think about it - it's a bit odd - since I'm a project manager in my work life! I think I plan all day and don't like to plan at home.
All that said - I've been on a kick and had some recipes saved up and came across this one from Cooking Light - Rice with Mushrooms & Shrimp. We like rice, I like mushrooms and we like shrimp. Sounds like a winner!
The recipe said it makes 4 servings - we got 6 out of it. I've frozen them and take them to pack in my lunch - still tasty! Basmati rice is by far my favorite - I love it so much more than regular white rice - I don't think I'll ever buy white again.
Why Should You Make This? I really enjoyed this dish and will definitely make it again. It was so simple and tasty. I think the chicken broth and capers (I didn't have) would have added more flavor - but it was good this way as well. I did add a can of tomatoes. When I was cooking it - just felt like it needed something else. The lemon rind is a must-have though - now that I've used that in recipes a couple of times - I'm hooked! Best part - it's healthy!
Rice with Mushrooms & Shrimp
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I added this)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I used water - didn't have chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers (omitted - didn't have them)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
PreparationCook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add carrot and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, broth, salt, pepper, and shrimp. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in rice, chives, and remaining ingredients. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.