While I like to cook and bring leftovers - life right now is a little insane - so I've been in frozen meal land - which isn't so bad. I'm also a couponer - so I try and get deals whenever possible.
With all of this - I've decided to review the lunches - and hopefully find out from you what your favorites are so I can try those! We all know - some are awful and some are pretty damn tasty!
First up - Zatarain's Big Easy Rice Bowl.
I think the package shot is key because how much like the package does it really look? And seriously - who ever takes their frozen stuff out of the package and puts it in a real bowl????
This is red beans & rice with chicken and cheddar cheese. I chose this because it's different than the typical pasta and I had a coupon.
Here's the outcome - not quite like the package - but nothing ever is.
Here are my notes:
- Flavor - as usual with frozen meals - it was screaming for salt! Other than that - it tasted fairly close to what their regular packaged red beans & rice tastes like.
- Meat - The chicken tastes like chicken - sometimes frozen meals have a funkity funk texture - this one was really good on that front.
- Time - directions say 3 minutes but needs 3:30-4, some parts were cold
- Cooking - The cheese sticks to the sides a bit but doesn't get hard and inedible at all.
- Cost - $3.69 and I had coupon for 50 cents off/2 that doubled to $1 off - so $3.19 each
- Nutrition - 430 calories, 12 grams fat
- Allergens - milk, wheat
- Fullness Factor - as usual I need a side item to really feel full. I usually bring fruit or a snack. But it didn't leave me starving - so that's pretty good!
Also - if you're with me in the world of packing lunch and saving money - check out Lunch It Punch It - when you hit 10 packed lunches - you can go out to eat! Great idea and Cincinnati-owned!
I hope some of you will share your favorite frozen dinners or quick lunch ideas with me!