Sometimes the Mom & Savings bloggers amaze me - you have to be so committed to stick with something every single week. I tried meal planning a few weeks ago - and I was good for the one week - but it's so much work! Searching for recipes, making the shopping list, couponing towards the list, then shopping and then cooking everything that week. Oye! I'm lucky if I can do all that once/month!
But when I did - I had all the goodies for Creamy Linguine with Shrimp & Veggies from June 2011 Cooking Light. I was particularly excited about this because you used some of the pasta water in the sauce and while I've often heard of this - I haven't done it - until now!
This also made good use of one pot by cooking the pasta & broccoli together!
In the pan, you saute onion, mushroom, shrimp & carrot...
Then you mix in the pasta water and cream cheese...stir stir stir.
It was a little bland - so maybe adding some red pepper flakes or something like that might jazz it up. All in all though - good dish. It was also in the "Budget Cooking" category - so fyi - it's $2.42 per serving.
Creamy Linguine with Shrimp and Veggies
- 6 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 julienne-cut carrot
- 3/4 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pasta; cook 5 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- 2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, shrimp, and carrot; sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta mixture, 1/2 cup pasta water, cream cheese, and pepper to pan; cook for 3 minutes or until cheese melts and shrimp are done, stirring occasionally.