I have this tendency to work in the armpit locations of Downtown Cincinnati. Now these armpits may be wearing deodorant (i.e. they're not actually stinky) - but it's always in a spot sort of away from all the happening stuff. I used to work at 3rd & Plum - now I'm near the Taft Museum. There really are only 2 restaurants that you can get a FAST lunch on those days when you have no time but need fooooood!
Deli720 was our go-to in the Northlich building across the street - but they closed this summer :-( Luckily - a new restaurant opened in the same spot a week later. Lori Beth's Cafe opened in it's place and got everybody talking!
I chose the Chicken Salad Croissant and a side of potato salad. The chicken salad was good - it's simple. I hate funky chicken salad - leave the grapes and nuts out - just give me chicken, celery, mayo - done. This wasn't the best chicken salad I've had - but I ate it. It also had tomato and lettuce on it - which was nice. The croissant was fine - but it would really benefit from being toasted on the grill and being a little warm. The sandwich was HUGE. Portion size is not an issue here.
The potato salad was fine - lots of mustard and relish in it - also comes with eggs - which I like. It's good - nothing spectacular though.
Abby Girl and Yum) so when they were on the counter - I couldn't resist.
The cupcake was FULL of pieces of strawberry - which I loved. The icing was also very strawberry-y and sugary - just how I like it. It also wasn't a huge jumbo cupcake - so it was easy enough to eat. So luckily, lunch ended on a high.
Why Should You Go? If you don't work in the area - then I definitely wouldn't make a special trip. If you like desserts and are driving by - stop in.
I'm also going to expand a little on this - hopefully for Lori Beth's benefit. This was my first visit - but I have heard a LOT of feedback from people at all the businesses around this building. When they know you're the Food Hussy - they talk. Here's what I'm hearing and seeing:
- Their breakfast is good (I did have an omelette one day) but it's over-priced. The Book Building nearby has a cafeteria that's open until 9:15am and you can get a breakfast sandwich there for $1 - Lori Beth's is $5. #whoa (in my best Joey Lawrence voice)
- They do have "foo foo" coffee - which before meetings or mid-afternoon - is a nice option since there wasn't any before.
- Nobody thought Deli720 was "affordable" by any means - I tried not to go unless work was paying because I thought it was expensive. That said - this is being viewed by others as even MORE expensive. #ouch
- Ad agencies abound and they're full of health-conscience girls in their 20s - those hussies are not eating giant slabs of cake at lunch. I think their start comes from the baking world - but they might want to try and find some healthier dessert options.
- It's disorganized. When you ordered at Deli - it was a well-oiled machine - like the Soup Nazi (haha). This is the opposite. It seems like it takes a while to get your orders and that the left hand isn't quite sure what the right is doing.
- People are going back - but when you ask their opinion - they are often saying "Well so far - I'm not too impressed."