We had a birthday a couple of weeks ago at work - and Susie came in with these - Beer & S'mores Brownies! As soon as she did - I knew I had to blog about them.
Beer & S'mores Brownies (from Betty Crocker)
* 3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
* 1 cup flat beer
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 egg whites
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 box Betty Crocker Original Supreme Premium brownie mix
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
- To make Beer Marshmallows, generously oil 13x9 baking dish; sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Place gelatin in large bowl for stand electric mixer; add 1/2 cup of the beer. Lightly stir with spoon set aside to soften gelatin.
- Meanwhile, fit candy thermometer to side of 3-quart saucepan. Add 2 cups sugar, the remaining beer, corn syrup and salt; cook over low heat for 3 minutes, beating with whisk until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 240. Remove from heat.
- Using electric mixer with whip attachment, beat softened gelatin on low speed while slowly pouring very hot sugar mixture into gelatin. Increase mixer speed to high; beat about 10 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- While gelatin-sugar mixture is being beaten, place egg whites in large bowl. Using hand mixer, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add beaten egg whites & vanilla to whipped gelatin-sugar mixture; beat until incorporated. Pour mix into baking dish. Generously sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Let stand 4 hours or until firm. Turn marshmallow out onto cutting board; cut into 1 inch squares.
- To make brownies, heat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of square pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter & 2 tablespoons of sugar. Press in bottom of pan. Bake 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, stir together brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil & egg until well blended.
- Spread brownie batter over partially baked graham cracker crust.
- Bake 8 inch pan 38-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for an hour - cut brownies into rows 4x4.
- To make Beer & S'mores - set oven to broil. Place cut brownies on cookie sheet. Top each with 1 or 2 beer marshmallows. Broil 10-30 seconds or until tops are browned and marshmallows begin to ooze.