I think I did a pretty good job – Larry even liked them – which is a victory in itself – that is until he realized they had spinach in them! 🙂
First – I boiled my lasagna noodles – obviously to roll them – you have to use the boil ones – but I’ve tried the no-boil and just don’t care for them. They never seem to get all done to me – so I’ll stick with the old fashioned boiled ones.
Got my ingredients all lined up – spinach, ricotta, seasonings, cheese and spaghetti sauce. I was ready to assemble!
First – I start by putting a bit of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. I used a jar sauce – I don’t really have a favorite – I like chunks of tomato – but I switch around. I really don’t buy sauce often because it kills my heartburn.
Then ricotta – I feel like I need to buy better ricotta – this is just the store brand but it doesn’t have that same texture as you get on pizza at a restaurant. It’s always got to be stirred up when you open it to mix that water in.
Then I was thinking I might want some seasoning in there too – so I checked the cabinet and I had Italian Seasoning – so I grabbed it. I sprinkled it on top of the ricotta as I made the rest of the rollups.
I baked for 20 minutes at 350 and then I broiled for a couple of minutes at the end just for the brown bubbly top.
This was a really quick to put together meal and we both enjoyed it. The other thing I like is how flexible it is – add sausage or vegetables or whatever you want – keep it simple – make it complex – swap the sauce – whatever you want!
Be sure to pin the recipe for later! I have a whole board of recipes I want to try – it’s like my own cookbook of just what I want!
Easy Veggie Lasagna Rollups
* Lasagna Noodles
* Ricotta Cheese
* Handful of spinach leaves
* Italian seasoning
* Spaghetti Sauce
* Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
(I left the numbers off because it depends on how large your family is – we ate 1-2 each.)
* Boil lasagna noodles
* Lay out all ingredients for assembly: noodles, ricotta, spinach & Italian seasoning
* Spray baking dish with non-stick spray and preheat oven to 350
* Pour 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce in the bottom of dish
* Lay out one noodle and spread ricotta cheese on the noodle
* Sprinkle Italian seasoning
* Lay out spinach leaves on top of ricotta & seasoning
* Loosely roll noodle
* Place roll up on top of the sauce in the baking dish
* Repeat for all noodles
* Top with cheese, sauce and more cheese
* Bake at 350 for 20 minutes – then on broil for 2-3 minutes until top is bubbly and browning