It’s not an easy recipe – you make marshmallows from scratch! They are so sticky – it’s so different from a marshmallow that you buy at the store.
Then you make brownies! These were my favorite part – probably some of the best I’ve ever had. Check the recipe below – they’re semi-homemade by dressing up a brownie mix.
Then you put them all together and broil to melt the brownies. Can you imagine all the holidays to serve these at? Dad will love the beer, the kids will love the S’mores and you’ll love the smiles!
Beer & S’mores Brownies (from Betty Crocker)
* 3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
* 1 cup flat beer
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 egg whites
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 box Betty Crocker Original Supreme Premium brownie mix
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
- To make Beer Marshmallows, generously oil 13×9 baking dish; sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Place gelatin in large bowl for stand electric mixer; add 1/2 cup of the beer. Lightly stir with spoon set aside to soften gelatin.
- Meanwhile, fit candy thermometer to side of 3-quart saucepan. Add 2 cups sugar, the remaining beer, corn syrup and salt; cook over low heat for 3 minutes, beating with whisk until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 240. Remove from heat.
- Using electric mixer with whip attachment, beat softened gelatin on low speed while slowly pouring very hot sugar mixture into gelatin. Increase mixer speed to high; beat about 10 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- While gelatin-sugar mixture is being beaten, place egg whites in large bowl. Using hand mixer, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add beaten egg whites & vanilla to whipped gelatin-sugar mixture; beat until incorporated. Pour mix into baking dish. Generously sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Let stand 4 hours or until firm. Turn marshmallow out onto cutting board; cut into 1 inch squares.
- To make brownies, heat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of square pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter & 2 tablespoons of sugar. Press in bottom of pan. Bake 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, stir together brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil & egg until well blended.
- Spread brownie batter over partially baked graham cracker crust.
- Bake 8 inch pan 38-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for an hour – cut brownies into rows 4×4.
- To make Beer & S’mores – set oven to broil. Place cut brownies on cookie sheet. Top each with 1 or 2 beer marshmallows. Broil 10-30 seconds or until tops are browned and marshmallows begin to ooze.