This was one of those nights. Thank God for big frozen bags o’ chicken! I decided to make fajitas – of sorts:
Food Hussy Fajitas
* Olive oil
* 2 chicken breasts, 3 chicken thighs – frozen bags o’ chicken (or whatever combo fits your family)
* 1 T cumin
* 1 onion – sliced into rings then cut in 1/2
* 1 red pepper (I love orange or yellow too – very sweet) – sliced into bite size pieces
* 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
* Toppings: taco sauce, chow chow, sour cream
1. Heat oil in big skillet
2. After thawing the chicken, slice into thin bite-size pieces. Add to the heated skillet and start to saute. Sprinkle the cumin all over the cooking chicken.
3. While chicken starts cooking – slice onion and add to the skillet.
4. Slice the pepper and add to the skillet. Make sure you cook everything long enough for the onion to carmelize – approx 15 min or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Add the drained & rinsed beans. Heat through for a few minutes.
6. Serve with tortillas & toppings – enjoy!
Here are my non-cheese toppings. I love Ortega Taco Sauce – I don’t know why – but I do. It’s got an almost sweet flavor and just enough spice. Mrs. Renfros gave me the chow-chow and when I was getting toppings out I thought I’d use this as a salsa. It added a really great refreshing zing! Lastly – sour cream – can’t give that up too!
Here’s a shot of the finished dish in the pan.. Those onions – wow – so delicious when they’re carmelized. They’re sweet and all the bitterness is gone.
Put it all together and faijta night is a success! I like the small tortillas – I can never seem to do the burrito fold. These were so tasty and just as good the next day!