When I make a sammich – I gotta make it big, I gotta make it hot and I like to make it messy! Messy can mean a lot of different things – sometimes it’s olive oil & vinegar, sometimes it’s oozing cheese and sometimes it’s an over-easy egg ready to pop!
The other thing for a big ol’ hero sandwich is that I get bored with plain ol’ bread – so I want to add things to it – I’ll just add and add and add to it until it’s too big for me to even eat it! And that’s the kind of mood I was in today!
Last week I was introduced to Prime Fresh Deli Meats by Smithfield – so I picked some up this weekend and decided to hero-it-up!!!
So join the Hero Club with a hero sandwich of your own! First – I started up the layering with a Pretzel bun – and topped it with Swiss Cheese, Prime Fresh Delicatessan Smoked Ham and Smoked Turkey and more ham and more turkey…
Then I got the rest of my goodies together: Smithfield bacon and an over easy fried egg! What you have here seems like a controlled giant – like a Transformer when he’s in his Semi Truck form – you just don’t know what’s about to hit you.
My friend couldn’t handle the giant -so I made her a smaller version. (wuss!) And when that yolk erupts into a juicy, creamy delicious mess – that’s the best part! The Prime Fresh deli meat is a great complement to the hearty pretzel bun – no worry of sogging out – it all holds together really well. I loved the Smoked Ham & Smoked Turkey too – it had a nice smokiness but was just the right amount.
It really took a lot for me to not lick the plate – it’s just the way I get with an over easy egg. Heating the pretzel bun in the oven helped too – because it softens it up a touch. You could even get fancy and top the bun with a little melted butter and chunk salt.
Hot Hero Sandwich
- Pretzel bun
- Prime Fresh Delicatessen by Smithfield – 2-3 slices each of Smoked Turkey & Smoked Ham
- 2 slices Smithfield Bacon, lightly fried
- 1 pickle sandwich slice
- 1 thin slice tomato
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 fried egg, over-easy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On a cookie sheet, lay out parchment paper to prevent sticking
- Open Pretzel bun and top with 2-3 slices turkey & ham – then 1 slice Swiss cheese on each half
- Heat for 5 minutes
- While pretzel bun is heating, fry two slices Smithfield bacon and one egg over easy
- Remove open-faced sandwich from oven – layer bacon, tomato, pickle and egg on bottom bun – then top with other half
- Be sure to have wet napkins handy for that egg yolk delight!