These are really handy – you can use them on the grill or in the oven! I am not much of a griller – so mine mainly goes in the oven – but it bakes evenly and cleans up great. It’s nice too because the other pizza stones get stained from use (they’re supposed to) – but this one has a gorgeous red glaze that always stays gorgeous!
I’d like to learn to make pizza dough but I typically just use the Pillsbury dough in the roll from the store. It’s great because you can get a pizza from fridge to oven in just minutes!
I decided to make a half & half pizza with pizza sauce and pesto sauce. I really didn’t think Larry would eat the pesto – (foreshadowing here). It sure makes for a pretty pizza!
On the Larry half – pepperoni and on the Heather half – I sauteed some large shrimp with a little olive oil and some Italian seasoning for just 1-2 minutes on each side – then sliced up fresh mozzarella and laid it in between the shrimp. I added shredded mozzarella to the pepperoni side.
And the finished pizza – isn’t it beautiful?! And then came the surprise of the night – Larry tried the shrimp side AND LIKED IT BETTER! I was seriously shocked. He doesn’t like green food, he doesn’t like garlic and he normally likes “normal” – but he really liked the shrimp side! So the dogs got to eat some pepperoni pizza. 🙂
I hope this gives you a fun idea for a different type of pizza and get outside the box a little – you never know what the crew will think!
Shrimp Pesto Pizza
- 1 roll pizza crust
- 1 container pesto sauce (Whole Foods sells it fresh or you can buy it jarred near the pizza sauce)
- 1 bag frozen UNCOOKED shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella – sliced into discs
- Pre-bake crust per instructions if necessary
- While crust is pre-baking, heat oil/butter in small skillet.
- When hot, add shrimp and garlic to the pan. Season with italian seasoning. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Flip shrimp and heat 1-2 minutes more.
- When crust is ready, remove from oven and top with pesto
- Spread shrimp around the pizza
- Layer the mozzarella slices around the shrimp
- Bake according to pizza crust directions (10-15 minutes)