Do you eat black eyed peas on New Years Eve or New Years Day?
It’s a Southern tradition for luck and prosperity to have black eyed peas and collard greens on New Year’s Day. The peas represent coins and the greens represent paper money – but be sure you have this AFTER midnight so you’re waiting until New Year’s Day!
If you’re looking for other lucky New Years food traditions – try eating 365 black eyed peas (wow – that’s a lotta peas!) or 12 grapes at midnight! Here are some other good luck charms for the new year:
- wear red underwear
- keep your money under the carpet
- burn old things to put the past behind you (oh man – I have a lot to put on the burn pile with this one!)
- wear green and cook green things (like these greens)
- take your suitcase for a walk (for good travel!)
How do you make black eyed peas for a New Years tradition?
How do you air fry collard greens?
This vegan/vegetarian recipe for black eyed peas and greens will be a great tradition for you to make every New Years! You can either serve them just after midnight – or if you’re like me and sleeping by then – serve them on New Years Day.
Once you have all your good luck and prosperity for the New Year, you might want to use your air fryer for some other fun food!
– Air Fryer Spicy Avocado Fries
– Air Fryer Goat Cheese & Pepper Jelly
– Air Fryer Deep Fried Deviled Eggs
Air Fryer Crispy Black Eyed Peas & Greens
- 1 15- ounce can black-eyed peas (or 1 2/3 cups firmly cooked not mushy)
- 1 bunch collard greens – rough chop into large chip sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
How to cook Air Fryer Crispy Black Eyed Peas & Greens
- Drain the liquid from the black-eyed peas.
- Gently rinse and spread out on a paper towel
- Discard smashed peas
- Mix together chili powder, Lawry’s seasoning salt and pepper
- Move peas to a bowl and sprinkle 1 Tbsp seasoning over them, tossing to coat
- Put peas in air fryer basket and air fry for 5 minutes at 350
- While peas are in, toss greens in olive oil and remaining seasoning
- Open air fryer and shake peas
- Place greens on top of peas and air fry for additional 5 minutes at 400 – shake half way through and fluff greens
- Serve immediately