First you start with leftover turkey meat! Luckily I had recently had a Friendsgiving dinner with my neighbors with the Farmhouse Feast from Bob Evans. I made sure to snag a few slices of leftover turkey! Then you pile on cranberry sauce, baby spinach (or arugula) and Boursin cheese – that’s it! It’s so amazing!
Can you freeze Thanksgiving leftovers?
Definitely! I froze the turkey slices because I wasn’t sure when I was going to have the chance to make the sandwich. I defrosted them in the microwave and then popped them in the oven wrapped in foil for 8 minutes. You can also freeze pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole! With the green bean casserole – just add fresh and crunchy French fried onions on top and you’ll never know it was reheated!
I promise you this Thanksgiving leftover sandwich is going to be the best way to eat your leftovers! I was so surprised at how it transforms into something new! The cranberry sauce and Boursin cheese did the trick!
I used swirl bread – which always comes in Cinnamon – but if you look you can find cranberry swirl during the holiday season! I also tried it with the Pumpkin Spice bagels – they were really good too! I definitely liked both!
People always ask me for Thanksgiving leftover tips! I think the key is freezing anything you have very much of – whatever it is. Don’t force yourself to eat turkey and stuffing for a week! Just freeze it and then in a month or two – you’ll be so excited to have it again! Depending on what it is and how much – sometimes I’ll package up the leftovers to have a Thanksgiving meal again – but if I have a bunch of one thing (like mashed potatoes) – I’ll freeze that separately and use for something else later.
What can you do with Thanksgiving leftovers?
Here are a few of my favorite next day meals:
– Super Easy Leftover Turkey Casserole
– Leftover Ham & Potato Casserole
– Mom’s Quiche – swap out the ingredients and add turkey, vegetables and cheese and you’ve got a Thanksgiving Leftover Quiche!
Copycat Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
- 4 slices Cranberry Swirl Bread or 2 Pumpkin Spice Bagels
- 4-5 slices leftover turkey
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 3 oz Boursin cheese
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
How to cook Copycat Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
- Toast bread or bagels
- Layer bread with turkey, cranberry sauce and spinach on bottom piece of bread/bagel
- Spread Boursin cheese in thick layer on top piece of bread/bagel
- Sandwich it up!
– You can substitute cream cheese or goat cheese if you don’t have Boursin
– You can use any kind of delicate greens – I recommend arugula, baby spinach or spring greens – avoid iceberg/romaine