Recently – my friend Beth and I met up for lunch at Zablong Pizza in downtown Cincinnati (they also have a location in Charlotte NC). After having our pizzas – I had to go home and make one for myself!
ZaBlong comes from Pizza + Oblong – I’m guessing – so they’ll give you a full size pizza that fills this oblong box. It’s almost a Chipotle-like experience where you can order one of their pre-determined combos or create your own.
When we were there they had a lunch special with a half-pizza, salad and drink – so I actually got the Taco Tuesday special with taco meat, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, onions and ranch. It was pretty good – I love a taco pizza (Godfathers and Happy Joes have the best!).
Beth got the MargheritZA and let me have a bite – and boy was it tasty! The freshness of the pizza is what I love – and fresh mozzarella is truly the best. If you haven’t had FRESH mozz – then you need to get some!!
Fresh Mozz is best in a Caprese Salad or lightly cooked like this in a pizza. You just want it to melt and get a little touch of brown. So delicious!
So I headed home to make this super simple and super fresh pizza! I used naan bread in a two-pack because it creates a light crispy crust! In terms of copycat – NAILED IT!!! RIGHT????
Of course you can top this recipe with whatever toppings you would like but there’s something to be said for simplicity and this has it in spades. I prefer marinara to pizza sauce because it’s chunkier and lighter (less tomato paste) – so yummy.
Copycat Zablong Margherita Pizza
- – 2 small individual naan breads (I use Tandoori Naan)
- – 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- – 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- – 1/2 container cherry tomatoes
- – Fresh Basil
- – Oregano
- – Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Lay out two naan breads on cookie sheet
- Top each naan with marinara
- Slice fresh mozzarella into 1/2 inch slices and lay on top of marinara
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and spread over the pizzas
- Tear fresh basil leaves and add to pizza
- Sprinkle lightly with salt & oregano
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes
- Switch oven to broil and broil for 2-3 minutes – watch closely to be sure it doesn’t get too dark – you just want to brown the cheese lightly