This isn’t exactly a traditional stroganoff – that would obviously have beef, mustard and paprika – I wanted a light dish but still creamy. Egg noodles was something I basically didn’t eat for YEARS because my ex-husband was allergic. But – now that I’m on my own – egg noodles are back in my life!
I sort of made this up on the fly – I had some cream and chicken broth in the fridge that needed to be used along with mushrooms – and you put it all together and you’ve got a nice little sauce! I sauteed the mushrooms in butter because that adds to the flavor of the sauce.
In the time it took to make the noodles – the mushrooms and sauce were ready! I made just the right amount to have it for dinner and then the next day for lunch. I’ll definitely be making this again. Egg noodles are so light – I’m so happy to have them back in my life!! I loved that this is great for the “Meatless Monday” movement or even on Fridays during Lent!
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2-3 Tbsp chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp of sour cream
- 2 cups egg noodles
- Boil water
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in a skillet.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet at the same time you add the pasta to the water
- Sauté for 4-5 min
- Add cream and 1/4 cup chicken broth and reduce on medium
- In small bowl mix 1 tsp cornstarch and 2-3 Tbsp broth then add to pan
- Stir and let thicken 2-3 min
- Remove from heat
- Pasta should be done. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Add 3 Tbsp of sour cream to mushrooms and stir in off heat
- Top egg noodles with sauce