The thing is, no craft day is complete without DESSERT!!! To be honest, the desserts are more important than the craft most days. So I decided to stop by Frisch’s Big Boy and grab all of their holiday desserts and bring them with me!
I grabbed a famous Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie, their Pumpkin Cheesecake and – of course – their seasonal Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cake!!
What spices can you use to make your house smell good?
So I went ultra simple with this fall potpourri: cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves plus cranberries and oranges – that’s it. And really – you’re good with just those. You can always sprinkle more spices in – but these are so good on their own.
My big tip here is to buy in bulk online (all my links are in the recipe below)!!! We always do craft day on a tight budget and I was able to get these spices all in bulk for $5-7 on Amazon! Another great place to check are those Amish stores that sell things in bulk. Definitely do NOT buy spice jar type spices for these! And you’ll never need to buy cloves or nutmegs again! hahahahaha
These simmer scents for fall and winter are like a liquid potpourri! And it’s so easy to gift or use at your own home! If you just want to use it for potpourri – just put a big pot of water on the stove or in your crockpot and add all the ingredients (slice the orange). If you want to drink it, use water & apple juice instead of just water! Simmer and you’re good! As the water evaporates, just add more. I had this pot going for 6-8 hours!
So we let the first potpourri simmer for a while just to make sure we liked the smell – and while we did that – it was dessert time! Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie is famous around Cincinnati. It’s creamy and has that punch of spice and pumpkin – it’s so good! They make them around the clock right before Thanksgiving because the demand is so high!
In addition to the pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice cake, they also have a Pumpkin Cheesecake! It’s so creamy – it’s like a lighter pumpkin pie with a light coating of whipped cream on top. The crust is sweet but not too much! We loved it!
These simmer pot recipes for fall and winter will give you a fragrant home that lasts all day! And the thing is – everybody wants their home to smell nice! This is such a fun and cute gift idea and it goes together in minutes!!! You can have a few bags ready to go – then as the holiday season moves along – grab and give!
Gift Idea: Holiday Simmer Pot
How to cook Gift Idea: Holiday Simmer Pot
- Spread open cellophane bags
- In each bag place:
- – 1/2 cup cranberries
- – 2 cinnamon sticks
- – 2 whole nutmegs
- – 1 orange
- – 2 Tbsp whole cloves
- Tie bag with ribbon
- – Place large pot of water on stove – turn on high (or use a crock pot!)
- – Slice orange into wedges or slices and place into water along with cranberries, cloves, cinnamon sticks
- – Feel free to use micro-grater to grate some of nutmeg into water – then add rest of whole nutmegs to water
- – Simmer
- – As water reduces, just add more! It can simmer all day!
- – If you swap water for apple juice, it becomes a hot cider you can serve to your guests!
– Buy the nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in bulk online or even at an Amish store – SO MUCH CHEAPER!!!!
– If you want to be more creative – print up little note cards with the simmer instructions and include as gift tags
– If you use apple juice instead of water – you can drink this!