This dish reminds me a lot of the old Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper but with tomatoes added. It’s cheesy and creamy – and very easy to make!
And I got to use my $2 estate sale Dutch oven! First I browned some ground turkey & seasonings – then added broth, water and tomatoes. Then I added macaroni and covered until the macaroni was done.
While the noodles were cooking, heat the milk and cream cheese in a separate saucepan. You just keep stirring until it all melts. Stir stir stir – then take it off the heat and add in shredded cheddar – stir stir stir. Once the sauce is ready you add it to your macaroni mixture and stir! Come on – you gotta admit – that looks awesome!
What to serve with Skinny Chili Cheese Mac?
Skinny Chili Cheese Mac
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups fat free beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 4 1/2 ounces finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
How to cook Skinny Chili Cheese Mac
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil.
- Once heated, add turkey, garlic, coriander, cumin and chili powder. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in macaroni; cover and cook 10 minutes or until macaroni is done.
- While macaroni is cooking, in a separate saucepan, heat milk and cream cheese over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar until melted into sauce.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni mixture; toss well to coat.