I did some research and decided to try using an old banana in place of the egg – I’ve done that before in recipes – so it was worth a try. I gathered up all my ingredient and got started!
While the oven/pan are preheating – mix together the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder.
Then, in a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients – buttermilk, vegetable oil and the mashed banana.
After the banana is mixed in with the buttermilk/oil as best you can (don’t worry if you have a few lumps) – then mix the wet with the dry. This comes together quickly into a bright yellow batter. After that is mixed well – fold in your blueberries.
It’s so B-E-A-UTIFUL! That bright yellow batter with the pop of color from the rich dark blueberries!
By this time your pan & oven are preheated. At this point you want to test to be sure your cast iron pan is hot enough. To do that you take a little drop of batter and drop it in the pan. If it sizzles and starts to cook – you’re good! If not – back in the oven and get it hotter. I think my oven is off a bit – I had to crank it up to 425 to get it hot enough. Once it’s hot enough – pour all the batter into the pan. The oil will pool up a bit on top – but that’s okay – just more goodness 😉
Twenty minutes later – you’ve got a pan of golden goodness with big plump blueberries! Seriously does it get any better!?!
There you have it – egg-free blueberry cornbread. I absolutely loved it. It’s not a really sweet cornbread either – if you want a sweeter one – I would add sugar to the dry ingredients. For me – the blueberries provide all the sweet you need. I took it to work all week for breakfast (along with some butter) – it was delicious! And you could always swap out the blueberries for cheese or jalapenos to make the recipe more chili-worthy. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!
1 1/2 tsp
vegetable oil (for pan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour 1/4 cup vegetable oil in cast iron pan (8-9″ish – bigger size) put cast iron skillet in oven & preheat to 400 (i had to go up to 425)
- While that’s preheating – in one bowl mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder & salt.
- In another bowl whisk together buttermilk & oil – then add mashed banana – you don’t have to get rid of all the lumps just do the best you can.
- Add the buttermilk mix to the dry ingredients and fold until mixed well. then lightly fold in blueberries.
- When the pan/oven are preheated – drop a drop or two of the batter in the oil in the pan – if the batter starts to fry – the pan is hot enough – if not – heat it up more! (that’s why i had to go to 425)
- Pour batter in the hot pan – the oil will pool up a bit on top – but that’s ok – it adds to the goodness (haha)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
Disclosure: Thanks to Brylane Home for the cast iron cookware set. I love it!