Cabbage Roll Soup is all the wonderfulness of cabbage rolls but so much easier!! No cooking the cabbage first, no stuffing, no rolling – you just throw it all in a pot and go!!!
This has all the same great ingredients from Cabbage Rolls. I used the recipe I found on Dinner at the Zoo as a starting point. So what changes did I make? First – I cut the recipe in half! I don’t need to be eating this soup for a month.
Next I used Bob Evans Zesty Hot Sausage instead of hamburger – all the seasonings and a kick – with no work! (Because I cut the recipe in half – I just used a half roll – I’ll use the other half for breakfasts this week!) My other big change was adding Fire Roasted Tomatoes – they have so much flavor and I love chunks of tomato!
After you brown the sausage, you just toss the rest in the pan! I sliced the carrots on the mandolin so they were super thin. The cabbage – I just cut it in half and chopped it into big chunks. Keep it in the big chunks – when it cooks it softens but the big chunks keep it so it has a bite.
Bring it up to a boil – then simmer for 15 minutes. And while they say “a watched pot never boils” – watch it – check it every five minutes or so to make sure it hasn’t absorbed all the water. I have the WORST luck with soup actually staying SOUP. It’s only 1/4 cup of rice but it’ll soak up the water and the liquid from the tomatoes quickly – so make sure it’s still soupy. If not – just add more water – 1/2 cup or so at time.
I added a little raw sliced cabbage on top – and it added a nice bit of crunch! Same goes for reheating – freshen it up with a bit of water and fresh cabbage and it’ll taste even better the next day! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
Thanks to Ohio Pork for sponsoring this post – all opinions are my own.
Spicy Cabbage Roll Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound spicy sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 – 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat a large pot with olive oil and brown the sausage
- While the sausage is browning add garlic and continue until sausage is done
- Add cabbage, carrots, beef broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, rice, bay leaf and brown sugar to the pot. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard
- Tip: Check soup every 5-10 minutes to make sure the water liquid hasn’t been absorbed. If it has, add a cup of water
Leave a Reply