I decided to put something fun together using the Cinnamon Swirl Bread and combining it with applewood smoked bacon, Irish cheddar (sharp white cheddar) and apples! There are so many great apples right now – it’s the perfect time for them. I tried a Golden Delicious at first but then decided a Granny Smith is a better choice (more of a tart zing).
I had some thick cut applewood smoked bacon so I cooked that up – I’m not a big crispy bacon fan so it’s still a little bendy. I may have eaten a slice – JUST ONE!
I shredded the cheese first – it melts quicker that way. So I mixed together the shredded cheddar, chopped cooked bacon and the apple – which I diced super small. This way every bite has all 3 amazing ingredients!
After you butter your Thomas’ Cinnamon Swirl Bread (butter side down) – splash a little balsamic vinegar on the bread – it’s going to add a little extra zing to it.
I piled the mix of cheese, apple and bacon onto the bread and then used the other buttered piece on top of that. They key to grilled cheese is a medium heat – don’t do it too high and burn it. Also – sometimes if it’s not melting like I like it – I’ll cover the grilled cheese with a small saucepan to get a little steam heat to help it along.
All said and done – delicious! It was such a great balanced sandwich! I can’t wait to make it tomorrow morning on Local 12! I’ll be on at 810am and will add the video once I have it!
I hope you’ll make it and enjoy it yourself too!
Bacon Apple Cheddar Cinnamon Swirl Grilled Cheese!
* 2 sliced Thomas’ Cinnamon Swirl Bread
* 1/2 Granny Smith apple, diced small
* 2 slices bacon, cooked & chopped
* 1/3 -1/2 cup shredded white sharp cheddar
* dash of Balsamic Vinegar
* softened butter
– Heat griddle to 350 degrees
– Mix together diced apple, chopped bacon and shredded cheese
– Butter one side of Thomas’ Swirl Bread and place butter side down
– Sprinkle bread with a couple dashes of Balsamic Vinegar
– Spread cheese mixture on bread
– Top with the other slice of bread
– Heat until brown on one side, flip and brown again