Fried pickles are one of my favorite appetizers and I’ve been dying to try them in the air fryer. The thing is – I like fried pickles with batter – and you can’t really do a true “batter” in an air fryer – so what could I do?
I decided to try making air fryer fried pickles a couple ways and see which I liked better! Problem is – I LIKED BOTH! So you get two recipes in one!
How do you make fried pickles in the air fryer?
Fried pickles in the air fryer work the same way as the other vegetables I’ve tried – you do a series of breading trays – and then spritz with olive oil spray and air fry.
Here’s the options:
– If you like battered fried pickles
– make the Crispy recipe – this was a dip of flour-egg-flour.
After the breading – spray with olive oil spray and air fry at 400 for 12 minutes. The crispy version also has no breadcrumbs – if that’s important to you.
– If you like breaded fried pickles and lots of crunch
– make the Extra Crispy recipe!
This recipe is made with by dipping in flour-egg-panko. After that, spray with olive oil spray and Air Fry for 8 minutes. This will give you MEGA-CRUNCHY fried pickles!!
My fried pickle loving friend Maria asked which I liked better and I couldn’t decide! I think the Crispy version give you more pickle flavor – but the Extra Crispy is so CRUNCHY!
Also – she’s a spicy-loving girl and if you are too – I would just add 1-2 tablespoons of Frank’s Red Hot sauce to your beaten egg. That should kick it up for you!
I also did a survey on Instagram about whether you’d prefer air frier pickle CHIPS or SPEARS and it was a 90% landslide for chips! Now if you do want to make air fryer fried pickle spears – it’s all the same method – you might just want to cook them 2-3 minutes more since they’re bigger.
Of course I dipped these fried pickles in my favorite Ranch dressing – which right now is from Jet’s Pizza!
If you’re looking for other easy air fried appetizers and snacks – I’ve got you covered! One that’s fairly similar to the pickles is spicy fried zucchini – so delicious! Another app that is really fun is air fryer deep fried deviled eggs! OMG – they are so good – makes deviled eggs even better! I also absolutely love avocado fries! If you haven’t had them – you need to make them right now!
Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Lay out trays with breading ingredients
- Remove pickle chips from jar and place pickle chips individually into flour1 jar dill pickle slices
- Dredge pickle chips in flour1 cup flour
- Move pickle chips (individually) to egg – be sure when you’re dipping in egg you coat both sides thoroughly in egg2 eggs
- For second coating – dip in either flour again (for crispy) or panko (for extra crispy)3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- After second coating, set pickles onto cookie sheet.
- Spritz one side with olive oil cooking sprayOlive Oil spray
- Place with sprayed side down in air fryer basket
- For Crispy (flour only): cook at 400 for 5 minutes on one side, flip, spray and cook 5 min more
- For Extra Crispy (flour/panko): cook at 400 for 4 minutes on one side, flip, spray and cook 4 min more
- Depending on size of air fryer – you may need to do two batches. Both types stayed warm while second batch was cooking