This Cheesy Mexican Rice Recipe is not only simple – but it goes with anything! Whether you want to put some chicken in before you bake it or serve it with your pork chops – this rice will be a family favorite!
The other thing I loved about making this is how easy it is! There are just FIVE ingredients and they’re likely all in your kitchen right now! So grab and go for the best rice side dish you’ll have all year.
How do you make Cheesy Mexican Rice?
First up – you gotta have rice! So cook 4 cups of rice – you can use a quick cook rice if you like – but I went the route of taking my time with the rice. I did water, white rice and a tablespoon of Better than Bouillon – it really adds so much to rice!!
Once your rice is cooked, in a large bowl, mix together rice, sour cream, shredded cojack, a pinch of salt and a little can of diced jalapenos. Then turn into a baking dish. THAT’S IT!!
I thought the casserole could use a little crunch – so I sprinkled on some fried onions and fried red peppers – they’re from the salad toppings area – I always have them in the pantry!
Can I substitute the jalapenos?
Yes! That’s the best part of this dish- you can sub almost every ingredient! Don’t have white rice? Use brown! Don’t have Cojack? Use Cheddar! Don’t have jalapenos? Use green chiles! For the jalapenos – you could also use jarred pickled jalapenos – dice them up! Or even use bell peppers – they won’t be as spicy – but add some cayenne pepper to spice it up instead. You could also throw in corn too! So yum! Honestly I’m giving myself like 14 ideas for follow up recipes for this dish!
What to serve with Cheesy Mexican Rice?
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken – whether you serve it with the whole chicken or add some of that pulled chicken to the rice – it will be great!
- Copycat Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Air Fryer Cilantro Lime Breaded Shrimp
Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
- If you need to cook your rice – using white rice place white rice, water, 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon in water (check package for measurements) and bring to a boil. Simmer with lid on for 20 minutes. Remove from heat for 5 min and fluff.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray
- Mix together cooked rice, sour cream, jalapenos (no need to drain) and cheese into a baking dish
- If you'd like, top with french fried onions or tortilla strips
- Bake for 20 minutes