Flourless cheese sauce is melty and delicious – and best of all – cheesy!!! I love cheese sauce but so many of them use flour and I don’t like that taste so I wanted to make a flourless cheese sauce that I can use on nachos, pasta and even pizza!
And pizza is how it started! I have this recipe for breakfast pizza that I love and you can use sausage gravy or cheese sauce as the base. I was tired of using canned nacho cheese so I wanted to make my own – and it’s SO EASY!!!!
Flourless Cheese Sauce Ingredients
I don’t know why- but cheese sauce just seems daunting?! So many people say you have to make a rue and then add milk and blah blah – let me tell you – nope! None of that – this is so simple – and here’s all you need:
- Half & half
- Velveeta (if you’re anti-Velveeta – I have other ideas in the FAQ section)
- Smoked Gouda
- White Cheddar
How to make cheese sauce without flour?
It’s really easy – and only takes 10 minutes – so let’s jump in and get started:
- Place a small sauce pot on medium heat and bring the half and half to a simmer
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in Velveeta until melted
- Add in gouda, cheddar, Worcestershire and Tabasco
- Keep whisking until all cheese is melted
- Set aside and keep warm to serve
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
No – you could use American cheese or other equally processed cheeses like Cheese Whiz or Olde English.
If those aren’t your favorite – there’s a host of other cheeses you could use – think of firmer cheeses (not Mozzarella) that have a lot of strong flavor (not Provolone). My other favorites are Gruyere, Yellow Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Parmesan and even Brie.
You can use milk or heavy cream – if milk – you might need to add a little more cheese to thicken it up – if you use cream – you might loosen it up with a little water
Cube the Velveeta – shredding it is a mess! Grate the gouda & cheddar cheeses – I used cubed gouda because that’s all my grocery store had – it takes a lot longer to melt – but it will still works.
Place your leftover cheese sauce in a sauce pan – you’ll want to break it up a little. I just take a tablespoon and scoop it out of the jar I had it in and drop into the pan. Add 1/4 cup of milk or half and half. Heat on medium low (3-4) until nice and melty again!
Recipes that use cheese sauce
Flourless Cheese Sauce
- Place a small sauce pan on medium heat and bring the half and half to a simmer1 cup half and half
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in Velveeta until melted1/4 pound Velveeta
- Add in gouda, cheddar, Worcestershire and Tabasco – whisk1/4 pound Smoked Gouda, 1/4 pound White Cheddar, 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- Whisk until all cheese is melted – whisk – whisk – whisk!
- Set aside and keep warm
- Makes 1 1/2 cups cheese sauce