This fall salad is made with just a few ingredients – but the main two are apples and brussels sprouts. It’s a nice crisp salad and the vinaigrette is easy to whip up. This goes great for a fall potluck or just a side dish for dinner. And – if you don’t tell anybody that it’s made with brussels sprouts – they’ll never know!!!
For the sprouts – you shave them on a mandolin – which you need to be careful with – but if you just hold the sprout by its end and shave away. When it gets toward the end – just pitch the rest – don’t take a chance of adding a side of finger to your salad!
You just toss the ingredients together and whip up an easy vinaigrette to toss it with. The vinaigrette you can heat up and blend – or just toss it cold – it works either way. If you choose to heat up the vinagrette – it’s fun because the liquids plump up the dried cranberries and really make a tasty blended dressing!
I promise you’ll be so surprised by the brussels sprouts – but really they’re just tiny little cabbages – so it’s pretty similar to cole slaw mix. I like how shaving the sprouts makes the greens so light and fluffy – goes well with the crisp and sweet Envy apples.
Envy Apples are cross-polinated to be sweet and brown less – but they’re GMO free! I really enjoyed the sweetness of the apples and will definitely keep these on my grocery list! I hope you enjoy this Fall Apple Salad as much as I did!
Fall Apple Salad
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, shaved on a mandolin
- 1-2 Envy apples, small dice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 T finely chopped parsley
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- In a small sauce pot, slightly warm all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Remove from heat and allow to sit while prepping remaining ingredients. You are softening the cranberries!
- Once cranberries have softened, blend ingredients until smooth.
- Toss the sliced brussel sprouts and diced apples in the vinaigrette, then top with crumbled goat cheese, parsley, and cranberries. You can garnish with fresh parsley leaves for extra color.
- Fun serving tip: tightly pack a small ramekin with the brussel/apple mixture (or can use a measuring cup if you don’t have a ramekin) and then turn upside down on a plate. Then top with the remaining ingredients!
Leave a Reply