What is Salmon Oscar?
The base of the dish is seared salmon and sauteed asparagus – that’s delicious on it’s own! To test this recipe – I made salmon and asparagus together in my air fryer and in the skillet! Both sets of instructions are included – but you can check out my recipe for Air Fryer Salmon as well – I make it ALL THE TIME!
How do you make Salmon Oscar?
While these are cooking – you make up your bearnaise sauce. I took a shortcut with this recipe and sauteed onion and tarragon in lemon juice. Once the onions were soft, whisk in milk, mayonnaise and dijon mustard.
Once ready – plate your asparagus and top with a salmon fillet. Add crab meat on top. I would recommend using REAL crab – not the fake kind. I tried canned crab for this – but there’s also a lump crab meat you can buy – usually in the seafood section in a plastic dish. I love crab meat – so I want big chunks of crab! Also – you don’t even need to heat the crab – it’s already cooked – the salmon and bearnaise are hot – so it will heat it through.
Then pour your bearnaise over the top! Delish! And so fancy!
Salmon & Crab Recipes
- 2 skin-on salmon filets
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1/2 can lump crab meat, drained
- 1 Tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1/4 tsp. tarragon
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- Cook salmon and asparagus
- Air fryer – season salmon with salt & pepper and air fry at 350 for 4 minutes – turn salmon – add asparagus to air fryer – spray with olive oil and coarse sea salt – air fry for 4 minutes more
- Skillet – season salmon with salt & pepper – turn skillet to med. high and add olive oil when hot. when oil is hot , add salmon skin side down – heat for 2-3 minutes. Flip salmon and turn heat down to medium. Add another tbsp olive oil. Add asparagus and saute. Continue to move asparagus so it doesn’t burn. Heat for 3-4 minutes until salmon is medium (not white all the way through – too dry!)
- While salmon is cooking – in a small saucepan – combine lemon juice, onion and tarragon. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is almost tender, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, then whisk in remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Plate asparagus spears and then add salmon filet on top of asparagus. Then spoon a couple of tablespoons of lump crab meat on salmon (no need to heat – everything else is warm and will heat it). Pour bernaise over crab meat.