Smoked Mushrooms are so delicious – they absorb the smokiness from the Traeger wood pellets but they still have the meatiness that we love about mushrooms! The earthy mushrooms pair so well with that smoky flavor. Great as a side dish or appetizer!
What You Will ❤️ About Smoked Mushrooms
- Simple to Make! Toss your mushrooms in oil & seasoning and put on the Traeger – that’s it!
- No Work! The Traeger – or whatever smoker you’re using – does all the work for you! Set it and forget it.
- Versatile! I love all the ways you can use smoked mushrooms – as a side dish, on a pizza, steak or more ways I have shared below!
Ingredients to make Smoked Mushrooms
Simple ingredients because mushrooms are so full of flavor already – just toss in olive oil and seasonings. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mushrooms – I think white button mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms are the best for this – but you could also use cremini mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, porcini or chanterelles
- Olive oil – I keep mine in a ceramic decanter so it’s always ready to pour!
- Garlic salt – feel free to add more seasonings such as black pepper, onion powder or fresh herbs like Italian parsley
How to Serve Smoked Mushrooms
Smoked mushrooms are a great appetizer or side dish – here are some fun ways to serve them:
- Melted Butter – spoon my roasted garlic butter over those mushrooms
- Stuffed – stuff the mushrooms before you put on the smoker – you could add some pork sausage into the stuffing as well
- Pizza – smoke the mushrooms on the shorter side of the cook (30 min) and then put them on your pizza!
- Rice & Veggies – mix the smoked mushrooms with rice and fresh parsley for a nice side dish!
How to Smoke Mushrooms on a Pellet Grill
I love using my Traeger – it’s so easy! Fill the hopper with pellets and set the temp and you’re done. I like to smoke at 225º because I think that’s where you get a good amount of that smoky flavor in your foods.
- Preheat smoker to 225ºF.
- Prepare mushrooms by washing lightly and then popping off the mushroom stems
- In a large bowl, toss mushrooms in olive oil and garlic salt. Transfer mushrooms to a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet
- Place grill pan on the grill rack in the Traeger and smoke for 30-45 minutes. Turn mushroom caps about half way thru if you like but it’s not essential.
This post contains affiliate links which I make a little money on purchases. Thanks in advance! I am an Amazon associate as well as a member of other affiliate programs.
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
Heck no – unless it bothers you – I never do! And no – not even in portobello mushrooms. You can – but I like the gills!
I do remove the stems anytime I’m using mushrooms – they are more woody than the mushrooms. If you push on the stem with your thumb – it will pop right out.
Smoker Tubes – It’s a metal tube with holes – fill that tube with Traeger pellets and then light it with a butane lighter. Once the pellets catch fire – let them get started – then blow the flames out. Set them in the grill and shut the lid. The smoke flavor is all those tubes will leave behind!
There are many flavors of wood pellets that work in your Traeger pellet grill. I keep it simple and always use the Traeger Signature Blend which is a blend of Maple and Cherry. That said if you’re looking for something specific for mushrooms – the best are Pecan, Apple and Cherry.
Yes – you can place a packet of wood chips in aluminum foil next to the charcoal. You will need to change out the wood chips every 30-60 minutes to keep the smoke coming.
Store leftovers in an airtight container (I like these glass storage ones) in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or in a skillet for 3-4 minutes.
I absolutely love my Traeger Pellet Grill and you can pretty much use it right out of the box! But over the years I’ve definitely found that there are some Traeger smoker accessories that make everything a lot easier!
Main Dishes to Serve with Smoked Mushrooms
More Mushroom Recipes
- Cheesecake Factory Stuffed Mushrooms
- Creamy Mushroom Pesto Pasta
- Mushroom Aglio Olio
- Olive Garden Creamy Mushroom Sauce
More Steakhouse Side Dishes
Get Heather’s NEW cookbook – Air Fryer Cooking for One today!
- Preheat smoker to 225ºF.
- Prepare mushrooms by washing lightly and then popping off the mushroom stems3 cups whole mushrooms
- In a large bowl, toss mushrooms in olive oil and garlic salt. Transfer mushrooms to a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp garlic salt
- Place grill pan on the grill rack in the Traeger and smoke for 30-45 minutes. Turn mushroom caps about half way thru if you like but it's not essential.