I've been dying to try this one out for quite a while - I was always missing one ingredient. But finally the stars aligned (and I remembered everything at Kroger) so the Cheeseburger Macaroni Soup would be mine!
This soup was DELICIOUS! Larry thought there was a little too much spinach for his liking but I loved it. The cheese does sort of stick to the ground beef and pasta - so it's definitely still a brothy soup rather than creamy.
I also took some extra to work the next day for a coworker and he loved it as well! He's always asking people to bring lunch in for him - so I obliged. Once the macaroni is in the soup overnight - it becomes less of a soup as the macaroni absorbs a lot of the liquid. Still delicious though - maybe even better than the first night. So good!
Cheeseburger Macaroni Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt & pepper
- 1 orange pepper (any color really), diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 package sliced mushrooms (8 oz), chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz elbow macaroni (1/2 box)
- 6-10 oz baby spinach, chopped
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- crumbled cooked bacon for garnish
1. In a dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat. Season with salt & pepper. If beef is lean, add a little olive oil.
2. Add pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, oregano and thyme. Stir often until beef is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
3. Add chicken broth and simmer 20 minutes.
4. While broth is simmering, cook macaroni according to directions.
5. Stir spinach into the pot along with cheese. Stir frequently as the spinach becomes wilted and the cheese is melting completely.
6. Once macaroni is done, drain and rinse quickly. Then add to the soup.
7. Garnish with shredded cheese and bacon if desired.
Recipe inspiration from Cinnamon, Spice and Everything Nice.