I’m OBSESSED with crab cakes!!! They’re my favorite appetizer – but I’m also super picky – I want them to have a lot of crab meat. These air fryer crab cakes are so crabby and delicious – you’ll never want them in a restaurant again! Plus – they’re fast and easy to make!
Crab cakes are often served with a remoulade – which is very similar to tartar sauce – but adds herbs and vinegar or hot sauce. I made my own and it’s so good (and spicy!)!
How are Air Fryer Crab Cakes Made?
Starting with good crab is key- I would avoid the canned crab as it’s very fine shreds and doesn’t have much flavor. I bought two 8 oz containers from Kroger – one was jumbo lump crab (approx. $20) and the other was wild caught crab (approx. $8). This made 8 crab cakes – so it’s not the cheapest recipe – but it is delicious! And you could use two of the cheaper crab and it would still be very tasty.
In a bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients: mayo, egg, Dijon mustard, Old Bay, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, lightly mix crab, fresh dill, lemon zest and panko bread crumbs. You want to mix it lightly so you don’t break up all the crab. Then fold the crab into the mayo and you’re ready to go!
Spoon the crab mixture into round cookie cutters – this help molds the cakes. Lay them in the air fryer and give a quick spritz with olive oil. Air fry for 4 min on each side and you’re ready!
How long will Crab Cakes last in the fridge?
I’ve never had crab cakes last past dinner – but if you have any leftovers, you can refrigerate them for 3-5 days in the fridge.
These crab cakes will surely be a big hit and a recipe you save for a long time. I’m already adding crab to my grocery list so I can make them again!
My Favorite Air Fryer Fish Recipes
- Best Healthy Air Fryer Fish Tacos
- Sweet & Spicy Air Fryer Salmon Cakes
- Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Scallops
Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper
- In a medium batter bowl, lightly stir together both kinds of crab meat, lemon zest, panko and dill.
- Delicately fold in mayo mixture, being careful not to break up the crab meat too much.
- On a cutting board, lay a round cookie cutter. Spoon mixture into cookie cutter, press lightly and form patty. Slip the cookie cutter off and make your next patty. Repeat 8 times.
- Using a thin spatula, delicately lift crab cakes into air fryer. Don't manhandle them too much so they stay together.
- Spritz with olive oil spray and air fry at 375 for 4 minutes
- Flip and spritz again. Air fry 4 minutes more.
- While crab cakes are air frying, whisk together all Remoulade ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Drizzle a tablespoon of sauce over crab cakes
- You can also use fresh crab meat – you’ll need about 2-3 cups
- If you don’t have spicy tartar sauce (I use Frisch’s) – you can just add some hot sauce to yours
- You can also serve these just with tartar sauce or even just a squeeze of lemon juice!
Green: 4 Blue: 3 Purple: 3