Applebee’s newest special are their Irresist-a-bowls! We tried their Southwest Lime-Grilled Chicken Bowl and the Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl. They were both VERY GOOD!
The Southwest Chicken bowl has all of my favorite toppings and is served on greens and cilantro rice so there’s a lot of good stuff in there. The Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken bowl is served on cilantro lime rice (which is so easy to make) and has loads of vegetables and tender chicken.
I really liked both of these and would definitely get them again – but I might just make them at home instead!
I knew I had to make a Copycat of the Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl! It’s so good – with all those veggies. I wondered about the orange sauce but I was shocked at how EASY it was to make!! This recipe has a few moving parts but was on the table in less than 30 minutes!!
How do you make Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken?
After everything is cooked – you layer it all together. Making the cilantro lime rice is so easy – I squeezed the juice of one lime into the rice and threw in cilantro. I buy that Cilantro in a tube – so I always have it on hand. There you have Cilantro Lime Rice!
If you’re looking for other great copycat bowl recipes – I have a few! Panera has their Warm Grain Bowls and I made both – the Mediterranean Warm Grain Bowl is my favorite because I love all things Greek-inspired! Their Baja Grain bowl is very similar to the Southwest Chicken bowl that Applebee’s has – you’ll love it! I also have a copycat of the Panera Broth Bowl!
Bowl it up and enjoy!!!
Copycat Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl
- 1/2 bag frozen breaded chicken bites
- 2 tbsp oil (peanut, olive or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups sliced mixed vegetables – 1/2 crown broccoli, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 onion, 4 oz mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind.
- 1 cup orange juice.
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce.
- Dash cayenne pepper.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- juice from 1 lime
- 3/4 cup cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
- or use the Cilantro in a tube – about 2 Tbsp
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- Toasted sliced almonds
How to cook Copycat Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl
- Prepare chicken bites according to package directions –
- 16-20 min in oven at 400
- 10 min in air fryer at 400
- Prepare Rice according to package directions
- I used minute rice – 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, 6 min in microwave
- In a wok-style skillet, heat oil. Once oil is hot – add vegetables and stir fry for 5-7 minutes
- At the same time in a separate skillet – turn heat to medium and add two tbsp olive oil
- Once second skillet is warmed (not on high – like a 6-7 of 10) – Add garlic and sauce for for 1 minute (if the oil is too hot the garlic will burn).
- Add orange rind, orange juice, hoisin, cayenne and sugar and bring to boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens to your liking, stirring frequently.
- After rice is ready – add lime juice and cilantro and toss
- In a mixing bowl, add hot chicken – pour thickened sauce over chicken and toss to coat
- In serving bowls, place 1 cup rice in each bowl. Top with orange chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onions and sliced almonds