How do you make Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken?
The other part is the Spanish Rice! I modified my Spanish Rice & Beans recipe to simplify it to just the rice – and it worked perfectly! When making the recipe – after marinating the chicken – I started the rice first – then while that’s cooking – you can make the chicken and they’re done at the same time!
Out of the broiler the chicken is ready! Melty cheese on juicy chicken – hell yeah! I’ll be making chicken like this all the time now – it’s delicious! Applebee’s uses full chicken breasts – but I like the chicken tender sized breast pieces – so that’s the only real difference. They cook quicker and more evenly.
This copycat recipe of Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken isn’t complete unless it’s served on top of tortilla strips! You can also just crunch up tortilla chips – I always have the tortilla strips handy because I have them on salad every day.
I love this recipe for Fiesta Lime Chicken – it’s definitely one I’ll be making regularly. The Spanish rice is a perfect side and keeps for days. I parsed out the leftovers and had some delicious lunches – but you can also feed a larger family with everything.
The rice makes enough for 4-6 and the chicken you can just make as much as you need. I served it separately – but when you start eating – the crunchy tortilla strips are great with the rice – and top it with more of that zesty lime salsa sauce and pico de gallo. So good!
Copycat Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 5 oz package saffron yellow rice
- 1/2 – 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt, pepper to taste
How to cook Copycat Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Place chicken breast tenders in ziploc bag and pour in 2 cups marinade and place in fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes
- For zesty dressing – whisk together the next 8 ingredients (Mayo thru garlic), cover, and chill until needed.
- Preheat oven on Broil – Low
- Saute marinated chicken breasts on grill pan for 3-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Discard marinade.
- Remove dressing from fridge and pour over grilled chicken, sprinkle with shredded cheese, and broil until cheese has melted (2-3 minutes).
- Serve the chicken over a bed of crumbled chips.
- Heat a pot with a bit of oil.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 min until onions are soft
- Add uncooked rice, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, smoked paprika and cumin.
- Stir everything together and simmer on medium for 20 minutes. (While rice is cooking – you can make your chicken!)