What is in Applebee’s Southwest Lime Grilled Chicken Bowl?
It’s not hard to make – it’s just a little bit of a juggling act – but it’s so worth it! I bought a packaged chipotle marinade and put the chicken in that with the juice of a lime and marinated that overnight.
Then when I was ready for dinner – I started cooking the chicken – I just used a grill pan on the stove top. Once the chicken was in the pan – I popped the rice in the microwave. While those were cooking – I made up the guacamole and chimichurri – they took minutes to make. By the time I was done with those – the rice and chicken were done. Then you just put it all together.
If you want to save time – you can use premade guacamole – but I just made my own in about 2 minutes!
Seriously – you can’t look at that and not be ready to dive in!!!! I think that my version has more flavor than the Applebee’s version. I think chain restaurants tend to be bland to please the masses – so this has ZING!
Here’s a couple of my mini-recipes and tips:
– Cilantro Lime Rice – I use Minute Rice and then add Cilantro paste and juice from one lime. I use the paste because fresh herbs go bad so quick. Give it a quick stir and you’re done!
– Guacamole – This is incredibly easy! Take one ripe avocado and scoop it into a bowl – then add some pico de gallo, cilantro paste, coarse sea salt and lime juice. Then you just mash it all together (but still leave the avocado pieces a little chunky).
If you like Copycat “bowl” recipes – I have a bunch! Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken Irresist-a-bowl is delicious! Big chunks of juicy chicken and lots of vegetables – so good! The Panera Warm Grain Bowls are also delicious – I love the Mediterranean Bowl and the Baja Chicken Warm Grain Bowl. Frankly – the Baja is very similar to the Applebee’s Southwest Lime Chicken!
Copycat Applebee’s Southwest Lime Grilled Chicken Irresist-a-Bowl
- CHIPOTLE LIME CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 packet chipotle marinade
- 2 limes, juiced
- oil & water for marinade
- CILANTRO LIME RICE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup minute rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp cilantro (I use Gourmet Garden cilantro paste)
- 1 lime juice
- GUACAMOLE INGREDIENTS
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 tsp cilantro (I use Gourmet Garden cilantro paste)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- CHIMICHURRI INGREDIENTS
- 3 Tbsp parsley (I use Gourmet Garden parsley paste)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red or white wine vinegar
- dash sea salt
- dash teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head romaine lettuce – chopped
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup black bean & corn salsa
- tortilla strips
- lime wedges
How to cook Copycat Applebee’s Southwest Lime Grilled Chicken Irresist-a-Bowl
- Marinate chicken overnight in chipotle marinade – add juice from 1 lime
- Prepare chicken
- Air fry at 350 for 10 minutes
- OR Grill pan on medium high for 10 minutes
- Set aside to rest
- Prepare cilantro lime rice
- I use minute rice – 6 minutes – and then add 2 tbsp cilantro from tube and juice of 1 lime
- can also use prepackaged, preseasoned cilantro lime blends
- Prepare guacamole by mashing avocado, adding in pico, cilantro, salt and lime juice. cover and refrigerate until ready
- Prepare chimichurri by stirring together parsley, garlic, evoo, vinegar, salt and red pepper (if using fresh parsley, you’ll need to add more evoo)
- Assemble ingredients:
- place romaine in bottom of bowl
- top with 2/3 cup cilantro lime rice
- top with 2 Tbsp each of guacamole, pico, corn & black bean salsa
- top with 1 chicken breast sliced
- spread chimichurri on sliced chicken
- sprinkle tortilla strips on top
- serve with lime wedge