Pizza Hut Breadsticks were one of my favorite appetizers growing up! I finally recreated them in my own kitchen – so delicious – just like I remembered them!
When I was a kid – we would take the 30 minute drive to Iowa City every Saturday to go grocery shopping. We didn’t have a lot of money – so on weeks when my Dad had gotten paid – we would splurge and go to lunch at Pizza Hut and I would always get breadsticks!
How to make Pizza Hut Breadsticks
I will admit – this was my first endeavor into baking any sort of bread and using yeast! How crazy is that?!
First – making the dough is pretty easy – you mix yeast, sugar, salt, warm water and room temp milk and then let it set for 10 minutes. Then add a bit of olive oil. Gradually add flour in your mixer (I found a KitchenAid at a flea market!!).
After the dough is formed – roll it out – and place it in a buttered jelly roll pan and let it rest in a warm oven for 90 minutes.
The dough will be nice and puffy! Brush with butter and score the dough into breadsticks with a pizza cutter. Then bake at 475 for 15 minutes.
Now your breadsticks are ready for the topping!!!
What is on Pizza Hut Breadsticks?
The thing I remember most about Pizza Hut Breadsticks is the topping! It’s cheesy, salty and delicious! It’s a mix of Parmesan, onion powder, oregano, garlic, basil and sea salt sprinkled over melted butter.
Do Pizza Hut Breadsticks have dairy?
Yes definitely. There’s milk in the dough and butter and cheese on top.
Copycat Appetizer Recipes
There are so many delicious restaurant appetizers – every time I go out to eat – I try a new one and then decide which ones to make at home! Here are some of my favorites:
Copycat Pizza Hut Breadsticks
- 4 tbsp Parmesan grated
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 3-4 cloves roasted garlic)
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook, add sugar, yeast and salt. Add the warm water and room temp milk and whisk to mix well.
- Sit for 10 minutes until mixture starts to bubble
- Add the olive oil and stir again
- Set oven to warm
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add flour until a dough begins to form. Increase the speed to medium low and knead for about 5 minutes. The dough should pull from the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and lightly roll out to rectangle shape. Do not overwork the dough
- Coat the bottom of a jelly roll pan with half melted butter
- Place dough into jelly roll pan and brush with remaining butter
- Wrap pan tightly in plastic wrap. Turn off the oven and place pan in warmed oven for 90 min. Dough wil puff up and double in size. Remove from oven and remove plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 475.
- Using a pizza cutter, score the dough to make 10 breadsticks
- Bake for 15 min until golden and the edges begin to crisp
- While the sticks are in the oven, prepare the seasoning. In a small bowl stir together cheese, onion powder, oregano, basil and salt.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven and brush with butter and garlic
- Sprinkle on Parmesan mixture
- Cut and serve!