This Copycat Red Lobster’s Parrot Isle Jumbo Coconut Shrimp & Pina Colada Sauce will have you instantly transported to the beach!
How do you make jumbo coconut shrimp?
It’s actually fairly easy! You can do it in the air fryer or on the stove top. I bought jumbo grilling shrimp that was already deveined and butterflied. From there – you coat the shrimp in cornstarch, dip in coconut cream and then coat with a mixture of coconut and panko bread crumbs – and that’s all there is to it!
How do you make coconut shrimp dipping sauce like Red Lobster?
What goes with Red Lobster coconut shrimp?
Copycat Red Lobster Parrot Bay Shrimp
Pina Colada Dipping Sauce
- Please note – pour out the coconut cream into a bowl and mix together. It separates and there’s a solid portion and a liquid portion. You can microwave it for 30 seconds so they mix together more easily.
- In a small bowl whisk 2 tablespoons cream of coconut, sugar and sour cream until well combined.2 tbsp unsweetened coconut cream, 3 tsp sugar, 1/2 cup sour cream
- Stir in the crushed pineapple. Whisk in the lime juice, Malibu Rum and pineapple juice to thin it out a little.3/4 cup panko bread crumbs, 4 oz crushed pineapple, 1 tbsp pineapple juice, splash lime juice, 1 tsp Malibu Rum
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. You can make this in advance as well.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.1.5 lb large shrimp
- Add ½ the cornstarch and ½ the shrimp to a large ziploc bag. Close the bag and shake it up gently to coat the shrimp.3 tbsp corn starch
- In a large shallow bowl mix the coconut flakes and panko crumbs together. Remove half of them to a separate bowl.3/4 cup coconut, 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Working with a few of the corn starch coated shrimp at a time, dunk them into the coconut cream, let the excess drip off then coat them with the coconut-panko mixture (adding more to the bowl as needed) patting it on with your hands to help it stick.3 tbsp unsweetened coconut cream
- Place them on the baking sheet. Continue until they’re all coated.
- Repeat with the remaining cornstarch and shrimp until they’re all coated.
- Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Set each of the shrimp in the air fryer so they’re not touching
- Spritz with olive oil spray
- Air Fry at 400 for 7 minutes – flip
- Spray and air fry 7 min more
- In a Dutch oven or deep-sided frying pan fitted with a splatter screen heat about 1 + ½ inches of oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the shrimp in batches of 6 – 8 shrimp about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels or a wire rack.
- Serve warm with pina colada dipping sauce.