This Copycat Red Lobster’s Parrot Isle Jumbo Coconut Shrimp & Pina Colada Sauce will have you instantly transported to the beach!
How do you make jumbo coconut shrimp?
It’s actually fairly easy! You can do it in the air fryer or on the stove top. I bought jumbo grilling shrimp that was already deveined and butterflied. From there – you coat the shrimp in cornstarch, dip in coconut cream and then coat with a mixture of coconut and panko bread crumbs – and that’s all there is to it!
How do you make coconut shrimp dipping sauce like Red Lobster?
What goes with Red Lobster coconut shrimp?
Copycat Red Lobster Parrot Bay Shrimp
- 1 + ½ pounds large raw tail-on shrimp, deveined & butterflied
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ cup Japanese panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 oz crushed pineapple, well-drained (save the juice)
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice (from draining the pineapple)
- 1 Teaspoon Malibu Rum (optional)
- Splash lime juice
- Please note – pour out the coconut cream into a bowl and mix together. It separates and there’s a solid portion and a liquid portion. You can microwave it for 30 seconds so they mix together more easily.
- In a small bowl whisk 2 tablespoons cream of coconut, sugar and sour cream until well combined.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple. Whisk in the lime juice, Malibu Rub and pineapple juice to thin it out a little.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. You can make this in advance as well.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add ½ the cornstarch and ½ the shrimp to a large ziploc bag. Close the bag and shake it up gently to coat the shrimp.
- In a large shallow bowl mix the coconut flakes and panko crumbs together. Remove half of them to a separate bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the cream of coconut and coconut milk together.
- Working with a few of the corn starch coated shrimp at a time, dunk them into the coconut cream, let the excess drip off then coat them with the coconut-panko mixture (adding more to the bowl as needed) patting it on with your hands to help it stick.
- Place them on the baking sheet. Continue until they’re all coated.
- Repeat with the remaining cornstarch and shrimp until they’re all coated.
- Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Air Fryer Directions:
- Set each of the shrimp in the air fryer so they’re not touching
- Spritz with olive oil spray
- Air Fry at 400 for 7 minutes – flip
- Spray and air fry 7 min more
- In a Dutch oven or deep-sided frying pan fitted with a splatter screen heat about 1 + ½ inches of oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the shrimp in batches of 6 – 8 shrimp about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels or a wire rack.
- Serve warm with pina colada dipping sauce.
Did you make this recipe?