Cheese-stuffed brats are easy to make and amazingly delicious on the grill! I saw these bacon-wrapped delights on TikTok and HAD to make them at home! So easy to make too – just takes 15 minutes of prep and it’s worth it!Jump to Recipe
TikTok – if you’re not familiar – is the newest social media sensation and it’s really full of nonsense – but they have these magical little food videos that are really taking off! This was one of them I ran across late one Saturday night (jealous are you?) – and I woke up the next day and went to the grocery store to get everything for it!
What goes in Cheese Stuffed Brats?
First – you need to gather up all the ingredients – we went for:
- Beer Bratwurst – be sure to get the raw brats not smoked that are pre-cooked
- Mozzarella sticks
- Thick sliced bacon – you want it to stand up to the heat of the grill
- BBQ Rub – I love Historic BBQ – they are the only ones I use – for this I used the RED which is made for chicken and pork
- BBQ Sauce – I love Williamson Bros – you can get it online at Walmart and let me tell you – it’s worth it!!! It’s so delicious! It’s a very light and seasoned sauce – perfect for basting
How do you stuff and grill bratwurst?
First thing you need is a sharp knife! I like to use a boning knife – they’re not expensive but so helpful. Here’s what to do:
- Make a sharp cut lengthwise down the brat and cut about 2/3 of the way down
- Unwrap your cheese stick (just making sure you’re paying attention) and shove it into the brat opening. Because the pork is raw you can really mush it in there!
- As you smush the cheese in – wrap the sausage around the brat so it all comes back together to hold the cheese in.
- Wrap each brat TIGHTLY in a thick slice of bacon. This will be the best way to seal in the cheese so it doesn’t pop out!
- Sprinkle your BBQ rub seasoning all over the bacon-wrapped brats
- Then onto a grill over medium heat – it should take about 15-20 minutes to cook them
- You’ll want to basted them every five minutes with the bbq sauce and turn as you go
- Don’t be alarmed if the cheese pops out! It’ll happen – just keep the cheese side up for the rest of the grilling time
- Temp check and remove when they’re 160-165 degrees! (This meat thermometer is a necessity!)
What to serve with grilled brats?
There’s so many delicious side dishes that go with grilled brats – here are my favorites:
Grilled Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Bratwurst
- 6 bratwurst
- 6 mozzarella sticks
- 6 slices thick bacon
- 2 tbsp Historic BBQ red seasoning
- 1/4 cup Williamson Bros BBQ Sauce
- Preheat grill on medium heat
- Slice bratwurst lengthwise – about 2/3 of the way thru the brat
- Stuff a regular sized mozzarella cheese stick into the opening in the brat. Smush the brat back around the cheese stick to seal it.
- Wrap a thick slice of bacon around the brat very tightly
- Sprinkle with Historic BBQ Red seasoning (or your favorite BBQ rub)
- Lay brats on the grill over medium heat
- Grill for 15-20 minutes – basting with Williamson Bros bbq sauce on each side
- Check temp and remove at 165 degrees