I love this recipe because it’s simple and has just a few ingredients and you can have it in the oven in minutes! It’s also one of their most sought-after recipes (along with their Tomato Pie).
How to make oven baked mac and cheese
This easy oven baked macaroni and cheese was only a few steps! Step 1: Boil the noodles. Step 2: Mix together eggs, evaporated milk, butter, hot sauce & seasonings. Step 3: Grate cheese. Step 4: Layer. Step 5: Bake! That’s literally all there is too it! No fancy sauces or roux to make – you just layer and go.
This copycat recipe is a southern baked macaroni and cheese and I figure if you’re going to make Mac & Cheese – you might as well do it right! Mary Mac’s Tea Room is the place to go in Atlanta – everybody in Atlanta has been there – it’s sort of an “old people” place but it’s steeped in tradition. You fill out a little piece of paper with your order and they have like 30+ side dishes (I’m not kidding!). It’s awesome!
Look at that cheese!!! This simple baked macaroni and cheese is made without flour and does have evaporated milk. I was curious about why evaporated milk? Because 60% of the water is removed the milk is creamier and thicker. You could also use heavy cream (1 cup for 1 cup), a combo of whole milk & half and half (1/2 cup of each = 1 cup EM) or even milk but add some butter to it (3/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup butter = 1 cup EM). Hmm – who knew?
Mary Mac’s Tea Room Recipes
I’ve fallen in love with my cookbook and have made numerous recipes – the #1 is Mary Mac’s Tomato Pie recipe. My personal favorite was their Chicken Fried Chicken though – it’s so delicious! And you can’t go wrong with homemade fresh creamed corn – you’ll never eat the canned again.
Copycat Mary Mac’s Tea Room Macaroni & Cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
How to cook Copycat Mary Mac’s Tea Room Macaroni & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray square baking dish with non-stick spray
- In large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add evaporated milk, salt, pepper, sugar, butter and hot sauce to eggs and whisk
- Spread half of macaroni in the baking dish
- Pour half of the milk mixture on top of the noodles
- Spread half of the cheese mixture on top.
- Repeat the layers of noodles, milk and cheese – ending with the cheee.
- Sprinkle paprika over the cheese
- Bake for 35 minutes until set.