The thing is – every time I wanted the lettuce wraps – I kept going back to PF Chang’s! Well not anymore!!! I made my own PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps recipe and I tried to make sure to use items you have in your kitchen already – and if you don’t – I can help you find a substitution!!!
What’s in PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps?
There are a few sauces you have to make with this recipe – but they’re not difficult – and they use a lot of the same ingredients – you mix together the topping sauce and a stir fry sauce as well as the ground chicken mixture. You could also swap out and use chicken thighs chopped very fine – or ground pork!
Do PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps have nuts?
No! The crunch comes from water chestnuts. They do have onions and mushrooms though – so yummy!
After it’s all together – dive in! I like to use Boston lettuce but to stay true to the original dish – I used iceburg lettuce. Also – I used regular onion – whereas the actual dish uses green onion – I just didn’t have any and was too hungry to wait for my Shipt grocery day!
This Copycat PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps recipe is so delicious! If you have ever had them – you already know it – and if you aren’t lucky enough to have a PF Chang’s in your city – now you can make their signature dish in your own kitchen! You’ll love them!!!
Copycat PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 oz can water chestnuts, diced
- 4 oz mushrooms (straw, shitake or oyster), diced
- 1/3 cup diced onion (green onions if possible)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10-12 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp mirin (or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp yellow or hot mustard
- 1 Tbsp gochujang (or red thai chili paste)
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mirin (or rice wine vinegar)
- Make the special sauce-sugar sauce by dissolving sugar in water in a small bowl. Add the soy sauce, mirin, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil
- Mix well and refrigerate sauce until ready to serve
- In a separate bowl, for the special sauce-mustard sauce combine hot water, mustard and gochujan – whisk this and set aside
- Bring oil to high heat in a skillet. Saute ground chicken and onions for 4-5 minutes. Break up the chicken into small pieces.
- Add a bit more oil, water chestnuts, mushrooms and garlic to chicken
- Prepare the stir fry sauce in a bowl by mixing the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mirin
- Add stir fry sauce to the pan and saute mixture a couple of minutes and transfer chicken mixture to a serving platter.
- Remove two sauces you set aside earlier (sugar sauce/mustard sauce) and whisk them together
- Serve chicken mixture in lettuce leaves and spoon mixed sauce on top