Chicken Cordon Bleu sounds fancy but is so simple! Chicken breast rolled
with ham and swiss cheese – breaded and air fried. It’s ready so quickly and
is so cheesy!
It’s no secret that I’m air fryer obsessed – but this is exactly why!
This recipe is super simple and delicious – but then making air fryer chicken cordon bleu is even better! There’s no added fat or oil – and all
you taste are the delicious flavors of the ham, chicken, cheese and dijon
mustard! They meld together in this amazing melty deliciousness your whole
family will love!
What is chicken cordon bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu actually has nothing to do with bleu cheese! Cordon
bleu is French for blue ribbon! So this is a Blue Ribbon Chicken recipe!
Cordon Bleu is a dish of meat wrapped around cheese then breaded and fried
– so much potential with that! But I started with the simple Chicken
Cordon Bleu which has chicken rolled with dijon mustard, ham and Swiss
cheese. So good!
How to cook chicken cordon bleu in an air fryer?
For this recipe, I used chicken tenders so they were more individual
sized rollups. I pounded them thinner, spread on Dijon mustard and then
laid a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese. Then rolled it all up –
no need to hold it with a toothpick – just hold together with your
tight rolled and set right into the air fryer. That’s it!
How long to cook chicken cordon bleu in an air fryer?
This dinner is on the table in less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
After you have the rollups ready – you set them in the air fryer and spritz
them with olive oil (I use
Pam Olive Oil Spray). The olive oil spray helps the panko and chicken brown. Then air fry at
350 degrees for 14 minutes.
What goes with air fryer chicken cordon bleu?
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 boneless skinless chicken tenders (or 2 small chicken breasts)
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- on a cutting board, lay out chicken tenders and lay a piece of parchment on top of tender, one at a time, using flat side of meat tenderizer – pound chicken lightly to flatten
- spread 1 tsp dijon mustard on each flattened chicken tender
- lay one slice ham and one slice cheese on top of mustard
- in one bowl/tray, beat egg
- in second bowl/tray, mix together panko and parmesan
- open your air fryer and have the pan ready for your chicken!
- tightly roll your chicken tender/ham/cheese – hold it tight!
- dip rolled chicken in egg – roll through the egg wash
- then move rolled chicken to panko mixture and roll to coat entirely and pat down mixture onto chicken – hold the chicken together – it will stick together as you air fry – no need for a toothpick unless it’s not holding together
- set directly into air fryer
- spritz with olive oil
- air fry at 350 for 14 minutes
- temperature check to 165 to be done