Ever wonder – what to serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu? There’s chicken, ham and cheese – but where do you go from there? I’ve got 45 side dish recipes that are a perfect fit for Chicken Cordon Bleu including salads, carbs and veggies!
Chicken Cordon Bleu actually has nothing to do with Blue cheese! The phrase “Cordon Bleu” means blue ribbon and meant that it was made to the highest quality. But now – it’s known as a chicken breast that’s been flattened a bit, rolled up with ham & Swiss cheese – then breaded with egg and breadcrumbs.
First – let’s touch on the Chicken Cordon Bleu! My favorite way to make it is in the air fryer (of course – I’m a bit obsessed!). This recipe is super simple and ready in less than 30 minutes.
I love how tender and juicy the chicken is when you make it in the air fryer – you’ll never have dried out chicken again!
OK – now that I’ve shared my favorite recipe – let’s dive into my favorite chicken cordon bleu side dishes!
The first thing you’re going to look for are vegetables – since my favorite way to make it is in the air fryer – I’ve got some air fryer veggies that you will love!
- Grilled Vegetables – Using the Traeger to grill vegetables is the easiest summertime side you’ll find! Set it and forget it – plus the smoky flavor from the Traeger pellets is delicious!
- LongHorn Crispy Brussels Sprouts – Longhorn Steakhouse has the most amazing Spicy Crispy Brussels Sprouts and I’m going to share with you an amazing copycat recipe that makes them EVEN BETTER at home!
- Italian Green Beans – Green beans with tomatoes and garlic are a perfect healthy side dish for any meal and they’re really easy to make!
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice – This Cheesy Cauliflower Rice is my absolute new favorite side dish! It’s cheesy, creamy and full of veggies. I promise if you make this keto-friendly dish once – you’ll be making it every week! This dish is low-carb perfection!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – Grilled corn on the cob is one of those summer staples that I’m obsessed with! Being from Iowa – I can never get enough corn – and the best part is – grilled corn on the cob is super simple and you can’t screw it up!
- Cheesy Baked Asparagus – Cheesy Baked Asparagus with mozzarella and parmesan is an amazing dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a side dish. Quick, easy and full of freshness and flavor.
- Texas Roadhouse Green Beans – Texas Roadhouse Green Beans are the BEST! Buttery green beans with sauteed onions and smoky bacon bites – they are irresistible.
- Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Tarts – These Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Tartlets will be the most popular dish at your next brunch! Full of caramelized onions, goat cheese and just the right amount of balsamic vinegar – they’re a delicious side dish or appetizer.
Air Fryer Veggies
Now – not everyone has an air fryer – which I really can’t comprehend! I mean – it’s amazing!!!! I love air fryers so much I have two! Here are my favorite veggies that you can make alongside your chicken in the air fryer!
- Air Fryer Carrot Fries – Roasted carrots are great – but they take time – UNLESS you’re making them in your air fryer! These air fryer carrot fries are a tasty and quick side dish for any meal!
- Air Fryer Asparagus – Air Fryer Asparagus is one of my favorite side dishes! You don’t need anything but the vegetable and your air fryer – delicious every time! And it only takes a few minutes so you can pop it in right at the end with your chicken!
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Fries – Air Fryer Jalapeno Fries are going to be your families new favorite!!! These are my new favorite! I ate 3 peppers in one sitting!!! (And they’re NOT spicy!)
- Air Fryer Cheesy Tomatoes – Jazz up plain tomatoes in your air fryer just by adding a little cheese, fresh basil and a touch of coarse sea salt! This great side dish brings out the best in the tomatoes and is ready in minutes!
- Air Fryer Spicy Zucchini Fries – Years ago, a friend of mine made zucchini fries as an appetizer before our dinner – I’d never had them served this way! She did them in the oven and I’ve always remembered how tasty they were!
- Air Fryer Cauliflower – Air Fryer Roasted Cauliflower is so simple and delicious! Two ingredients and it’s done in 15 minutes. I had roasted cauliflower as a topping at a salad bar and thought – I bet I can make this myself – and it was even tastier!
- Corn Ribs in the Air Fryer – Corn Ribs in the Air Fryer are delicious whether you’re snacking on them, serving as an appetizer or as a side dish! Sweet corn topped with barbecue seasoning and done in just 10 minutes in the air fryer! Add a squeeze of lemon juice for a fun finish.
Potatoes & Rice
- Lemony Smash Potatoes – these soft and crispy potato bites are the perfect side to any chicken dish!
- Jarlsberg Cheesy Potatoes – Jarlsberg Dip is very popular around these parts – so I decided to make that dip into a cheesy potato recipe! This is a perfect side dish for any any meal. Your family will love it!!!
- Cheddar’s Broccoli Rice Casserole – Cheddars Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make side dish for weeknights or any holiday table! Loaded with broccoli, white rice, Velveeta and – of course – a little butter! 😉
- Copycat Taco Johns Potato Oles – Taco Johns Potato Ole seasoning is a little spicy, a little salty and so delicious! This copycat recipe for the potato oles is spot on!
- Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole – I recently tried this sweet potato casserole at Sweets & Meats here in Cincinnati and it was my goal to remake it at home – and I think I got it! It’s so delicious and light and fluffy…and full of butter and brown sugar – duh!
- Grilled Herb Roasted Potatoes – Your grill is also great for roasting potatoes! A little olive oil, fresh herbs and baby potatoes make for a great easy side dish anytime!
- Taco Bell Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes – Taco Bell’s Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are gone as of today but it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them! I love those spicy nuggets covered in cheese and sour cream!
- Dijon Parmesan Potatoes – I love having easy side dishes that go with pretty much any meal and these Dijon Mustard Parmesan Potatoes are perfect any day of the week! It’s such a quick and easy idea and they taste so much better than just plain potatoes!!!
- Chili’s Loaded Mashed Potatoes – Chili’s Loaded Mashed Potatoes are simple to make and bring the cheesy goodness into your home! Delicious, slightly buttery mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish and topped with melted cheese, diced meaty bacon and crunchy bits of scallions.
- Air Fryer French Fries – You can make Ore Ida Crinkle Fries in the Air Fryer in just 10 minutes! Grab the ketchup (or your favorite dipping sauces) and get those fries out of the freezer and enjoy the perfect golden fries!
- Ninja Foodi Red Potatoes with Garlic Butter – One of our favorite side dishes is potatoes because we almost always have them on hand and they are pretty easy to make.
- Scalloped Potatoes for Two – Scalloped Potatoes for Two are a delicious and surprisingly easy dish to make. It’s a creamy, comforting side dish with just a touch of cheese.
Another way to load up on veggies is to make a salad! I’ve got a few options that are perfect side dishes for your cheesy chicken main dish.
- Copycat KFC Cole Slaw – KFC Coleslaw has always been my favorite! It’s creamy and a little sweet and very simple and you can make it in minutes!
- Chick-fil-A Kale Crunch Salad – This copycat recipe for the Chick-fil-A Kale Crunch Salad is spot on with all of the flavors! Full of kale & cabbage in an apple dijon vinaigrette and topped with toasted almonds – it’s a great side dish for any meal!
- Copycat Taziki’s Tomato Cucumber Salad – One of the dishes at Taziki’s that captured the attention of my growling stomach was their Tomato-Cucumber salad. It’s so refreshing and full of zing and feta – plus pickled red onions!
- Copycat Olive Garden Signature Salad – Olive Garden has the best house salad – with all my favorite toppings like olives and tomatoes and topped with that delicious Italian dressing and I have the recipe!
- Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad – Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad is my favorite restaurant side dish! It’s crunchy, creamy, cheesy and bacon-y! This make-at-home recipe makes enough for the whole family and is the perfect dish for a potluck!
- Apple Goat Cheese Salad – Apple Goat Cheese Salad is my favorite side salad for nearly any meal. The crunchy tart green apple is so great with that creamy goat cheese. Plus if you add a grilled chicken breast – you’ve got a whole meal.
Another thing I can never get enough of as a side – are pasta salads and macaroni & cheese dishes! So I’ve got a few of my absolute favorite! They’re great as a side dish anytime!
- Copycat Panera Pasta Primavera – One of my favorite Panera dishes is Pasta Primavera. Tender, ribbon-shaped noodles tossed with a blend of vegetables in a lemon garlic cream sauce on a bed of fresh spinach and topped with asiago-parmesan cheese and basil pesto.
- Creamy Mushroom Pesto Pasta – Creamy Mushroom Pesto Pasta is a one-pot 20 minute meal! I’ve got all the tips to make fresh pesto – or you can grab a jar of store-bought for a time saver. This simple mushroom pesto pasta will quickly become a favorite meatless meal!
- Jarlsberg Dip Macaroni Salad – This Jarlsberg Dip Macaroni Salad is going to be a sure fire hit at your dinner table! Jarlsberg is a type of Swiss cheese so it’s a great match to the chicken!
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Mac & Cheese – This copycat recipe of Panera’s new Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese is spot on perfection! They took their two fan favorites: mac & cheese and broccoli cheddar soup and mixed them together to make magic!
- Copycat Olive Garden Creamy Mushroom Sauce takes their classic Alfredo sauce and lightens it up a touch with the addition of lots of mushrooms! It’s a perfect weeknight dinner since it’s ready in about 10 minutes!
- Creamiest Mac & Cheese – This is by far the creamiest macaroni and cheese you will ever try! It’s really easy and one pot – I love it! Plus with only 5 ingredients – it will be on the table in just 20 minutes!
- Creamy Noodles – Creamy Noodles – a quick and easy side dish! Ready to eat in about 15 minutes! Spaghetti, cream cheese, milk, parmesan, garlic, butter, cajun seasoning, onion, and parsley. Goes with everything!
I’m always looking for something sweet after my dinner – so I’ve got some yummy desserts that will be a great match as well!
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler is such a decadent dessert – but it’s also SO EASY!!! You can easily make this in the oven – just be sure you’ve got vanilla ice cream in the freezer – because everybody is going to gobble it up!
- Carnival Cruises are known for their Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and now you can make it at home – and it’s so easy!!!!! The cake is light and the inside is rich and decadent perfection!
- Air Fryer Grilled Pineapple – Once your chicken is done – you can rinse out the air fryer and pop in some pineapple to make the best dessert in just minutes!
- Crustless Apple Pie – I’m always looking for a dessert that is easy – I’m just not much of a baker – so when I heard of a crustless apple pie – I thought – THAT is right up my alley!
- Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry – Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry is a delicious and super-easy dessert to make! I love the light and airy puff pastry coated in sweet cinnamon sugar (and butter!).
I hope you are all set and ready for your Chicken Cordon Bleu! These sides and desserts will make everybody happy – and you might have more leftovers to enjoy the next day!
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- On a cutting board, lay out chicken tenders and lay a piece of parchment (or a piece of plastic wrap) on top of tender, one at a time, using flat side of meat mallet / tenderizer – pound chicken lightly to flatten to make 4 flattened chicken slices (serve 2 per person)If using chicken breast – using a sharp knife – slice each breast into two pieces lengthwise and proceed as noted hereDon't have a meat mallet? You can beat with a rolling pin as well!4 boneless skinless chicken tenders
- Spread 1 tsp dijon mustard on top of the chicken2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Lay one slice ham and one slice cheese on top of mustard4 thin slices deli ham, 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Set up breading trays:Tray 1: beaten eggTray 2: mix together panko bread crumbs and parmesanFeel free to add a pinch of salt & pepper if you like.1 egg, 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Tightly roll your chicken tender/ham/cheese and hold it tight!
- Dredge rolled chicken in egg wash and then move rolled chicken to panko mixture. Roll to coat entirely and pat down mixture onto chicken. Give the roll a little squeeze and it should hold together. No need for a toothpick unless it’s not holding together
- Set rolls in a single layer in air fryer basket and spritz with olive oil spray.
- Air fry at 350º for 14 minutes.Using an instant-read thermometer, check the internal temperature of the chicken to be sure it is at 165º
- Remove from air fryer basket with tongs and serve with a side salad.