We’re all missing the State Fair this year – but you can still make your own Copycat Baby Elephant Ears with just a few ingredients! These little guys are light, airy and sugary – all the things we love about the real thing!
My favorite fair foods is a long list – but elephant ears are #1 – then pork chops on a stick, deep fried oreos and totchos! What’s your favorite?
How to make Baby Elephant Ears with Pie Crust
So you could say these are almost elephant ear cookies – but I’m not one to deep fry stuff – so I took a short cut with these and made them with pie crust!
First I took two refrigerator pie crusts out of the fridge – you want them to still be COLD though! Lay one out and brush on butter and then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Then lay the 2nd crust on top and do the same – butter & sugar mix.
After that – fold over the pie crust in half – then half again. Grab your rolling pin and roll them back out to a circle or rectangle. Then cut out circles with a glass or cookie cutter.
Lay your baby elephant ears on a cookie sheet you’ve sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. After you let them cool for a couple of minutes – sprinkle with more butter and sugar mix – once I coated them HEAVILY – that’s when they tasted like the State Fair!
These Baby Elephant Ears are a light and crunchy way to make your favorite fair food treat at home. It doesn’t replace all the fun of the State Fair but it is a nice reminder.
How do you make State Fair Food Favorites?
Copycat State Fair Baby Elephant Ears
- 2 pie crusts premade
- 4 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350
- Lay out one pie crust
- Mix cinnamon & sugar in a bowl
- Sprinkle half sugar mixture over pie crust
- Brush with 1 tbsp butter and sprinkle sugar mix on crust
- Top with second crust
- Brush with 1 tbsp butter and sprinkle with more sugar mix
- Fold dough in half and half again so buttered side is inside
- Using a rolling pin, roll the pie crusts into a rectangular shape
- Using a cookie cutter or a glass cut out baby elephant ears
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray
- Lay elephant ears onto sheet and sprinkle with sugar mix
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes
- Flip ears and bake for 5 min more
- Remove and let cool slightly (2-3 minutes)
- Melt remaining butter in microwave for 20 seconds and drizzle over both sides of elephant ears.
- Coat heavily with remaining sugar mix and serve
Leave a Reply