Ingredients for Pulled Pork Tater Tot Nachos
- 1/2 bag tater tots – make sure to use quality tater tots so they get nice and crunchy!
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Johns Seasoning Mix
- Or you can use taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 pound (8 oz) bbq pulled pork (you can use this popular recipe to make your own or use Curly’s)
- If you have the unsauced, you can add your own barbeque sauce
- 1/2 can nacho cheese sauce (or make your own flourless cheese sauce)
- You can also use shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese – they use the sauce at the state fair so I went with that!
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- OPTIONAL – grab your favorite nacho toppings: red onion, green onions, pinto beans, black beans and dollops of sour cream
What kind of pulled pork should I use?
Anything will work! If you got fancy and smoked up a pork shoulder or even used a slow cooker to make your own smoky pulled pork – that works! If you buy a tub of the pre-made pulled pork at the grocery store – that works too! You need about a pound of meat for the dish I made but you can always add more!
What goes on Loaded Tater Tots?
I just loaded them up with the same things they did at the State Fair – but really its up to you! I used a canned nacho cheese sauce but you could easily swap out regular cheese if you wanted. Then I added tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and crushed tortilla chips for a little extra crunch!
Now when I make these – I use my own cheese sauce which makes a world of difference! It’s much less chemical tasting than the canned cheese.
How to make Pulled Pork Totchos?
These are super easy! You can either cook everything separately and layer like they do at the Fair – or layer and bake as you go – which is what I chose to do.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a round cake pan, add in a throw-away aluminum cake pan and spray throw-away pan with nonstick cooking spray
- You could also use a large baking sheet – but I like the cake pan – it’s very table-friendly!
- Place tater tots in a single layer across pan and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with bbq sauce & pulled pork mixture and bake for 10 minutes more
- Remove from oven and drizzle cheddar cheese sauce over pork and bake 5 minutes more
- If using shredded cheese, you might need to bake longer for it to melt
- Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, jalapenos, chips and onions
The best part when of these Pulled Pork Totchos was that the throw away cake pan makes for easy clean up! And I got the idea from my Mexican Garbage Nachos!
Can you make Totchos in the slow cooker?
Well – you could but I wouldn’t. You could lay them out like my instructions – but you aren’t going to get crispy tater tots in a slow cooker. If you oven bake the tots ahead of time, then put them in – that might work – but I still they’ll sog. This is just one of those dishes best made in an oven or air fryer. Crunchy tots FTW!
How do you store and reheat leftovers?
These totchos make enough for 4 people but if you crave them like I do – and make them for yourself – you might have leftovers! Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate up to a week – or freeze up to three months. Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Other recipes for Pulled Pork
The whole family loves pulled pork and I’ve got tons of recipes to use it in a variety of ways!
More Tater Tot Recipes
If you want tater tots in a full meal – I’ve got some ideas here for you too:
Copycat State Fair Pulled Pork Totchos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a round cake pan, add in a throw-away aluminum cake pan and spray throw-away pan with nonstick cooking sprayYou could also use a large baking sheet – but I like the cake pan – it's very table-friendly!
- Place tater tots in a single layer across pan and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes1/2 bag tater tots, 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- Remove from oven and top with bbq sauce & pulled pork mixture and bake for 10 minutes more1/2 lb bbq sauced pulled pork
- Remove from oven and drizzle cheddar cheese sauce over pork and bake 5 minutes moreIf using shredded cheese, you might need to bake longer for it to melt1/2 can nacho cheese sauce
- Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, jalapenos, chips and onions1 tomato, 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips, 1/4 cup red onion