This Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning is dead-on to the real thing! How do I know? I went to Texas Roadhouse and asked for some seasoning on the side! Then I took it home to copycat it! I did a side-by-side taste & create to make my own copycat version.Jump to Recipe
The thing is though – you’ll find other recipes for Texas Roadhouse Seasoning out there – but I made them and they tasted nothing like it! It had similar spices but the blend was all wrong – it was way too peppery.
What does Texas Roadhouse season their steaks with?
It’s a blend of garlic powder & garlic salt, onion powder, turmeric, paprika, black pepper, salt and a touch of brown & white sugar.
How to cook the PERFECT Medium Rare Steak
My mom got me this awesome Le Creuset Grill Pan for Christmas and it was the perfect size to make a ribeye in! Here are the steps for a perfect medium rare ribeye.
- Season your steak early in the day and then leave it open in the fridge. Coat all sides of the steak with your seasoning. Then set on a baking rack so the air circulates all the way around (instead of a plate) in the refrigerator.
- Take steak out of fridge and have it get to room temp – about 30-60 minutes.
- Turn oven onto broil – high. Move rack so it’s 6-8″ below broiler. Place grill pan or cast iron pan in the oven so it heats up – about 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, turn stove burner onto high and carefully (with a potholder) remove pan from oven and put on stove top (leave broiler on).
- Sprinkle a touch of olive oil on the steak or pan. Place steak into grill pan – it should SIZZLE! Sear on one side for 30 seconds. Turn with tongs and sear the other side for 30 seconds.
- Once both sides are seared, with potholder, move pan from stove top to broiler.
- Broil for 2 minutes and then open the oven, pull out the pan, flip and broil the other side 2 minutes more.
- Take the steak out of the oven (potholder!!! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgotten!)
- Move the steak to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
- Prepare your plates, slice and serve!
How can you tell if your steak is done?
There are a couple of ways to check your steak – first – and most precise is the meat thermometer. Medium rare is 130-135 – and you can also take off a bit early because the heat will continue to cook after it is removed from the oven.
The other way was taught to me by the folks at Certified Angus Beef. Press on your steak with the tongs. Now – hold your palm open and press on the inside of your palm where the base of your thumb is – if the steak feels like that – it’s rare. If you bring in one finger (towards making a fist) – then press that same spot – you’ll feel it’s a little firmer – that’s medium rare. Two fingers in – medium, three – medium well, fist – well. I like to do both the temp and press test – once I matched those up a few times – I’m pretty good with just the press test now.
What to serve with Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steaks?
Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning
- Mix all ingredients together and pour into a spice jar
The Perfect Medium Rare Steak
- Morning of steak dinner, coat all sides of steak (I prefer ribeye) with Texas Roadhouse seasoning. Refrigerate without covering until 30-60 min before dinner
- Remove steak from refrigerator and let come to room temperature
- Turn on your oven's broiler and place an oven rack 6 to 8 inches below the broiler element. Put the skillet on the rack to heat up with the oven for approx 20-25 min
- Turn on a stove burner to high heat. Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven using an oven mitt and place it on burner.
- Use silicone tongs to place the steak in the middle of the hot pan – listen for the sizzle. Sear for 30 seconds. Flip the steak and sear the other side for 30 seconds.
- Carefully put the skillet back in oven below the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes. Pull out the skillet and carefully flip the steak using the tongs. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 2 minutes. At this point your steak will be medium-rare; if you prefer your steak closer to medium, add another 2 minutes to the oven time.
- Take the steak out of the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Tent it with aluminum foil and let the steak rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve