How do you make homemade dog treats with rolled oats?
Dog treats are pretty easy – they’re basically cookies without the sugar – which also means you could eat them – but you won’t like them. We mixed together pumpkin, peanut butter and chicken broth – then added eggs, whole wheat flower, baking powder and rolled oats. I would recommend using your “big mixer” if you have one – it gets pretty tough to stir once you add the flour and the mixer manhandled it.
How long do homemade dog treats last?
They’ll last about a week – I did not refrigerate them. I think they might last a little longer if I had. I gave my pups 1-2 a day. They LOVED them!!! And so did Dani’s dog Utah…
Utah was very eager for the treats the day we were making them!!!
What other fun dog treats and toys can I make at home?
Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
How to cook Pumpkin Dog Treats
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In mixer, combine pumpkin, peanut butter, broth and egg.
- Add 2 cups of flour and baking powder. Use a rubber spatula to clean down the sides of bowl.
- Add in oats and continue to mix.
- Continue to add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Sprinkle flour onto silpat or counter. Turn dough on to flour and use a rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to create shaped cookies. Re-roll scraps until all of the dough has been used.
- Place cookies on baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes (depending on size,) then flip cookies. Bake for an additional 12 minutes, adding more time for crunchier cookies.
- While baking, mix together peanut butter and cream cheese. You might need to microwave for 15 seconds to soften.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with frosting if you want. I put the frosting in a baggie and cut off the corner to pipe the frosting and then spread it with a knife.
- Cool the cookies completely before giving to the pups.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a Reply