Now yes – I know – they’re not tater tots – they’re actually Crispy Crowns – but I used them because my secret ingredient in this casserole is my (now famous) Taco Johns Potato Ole Seasoning Mix! This seasoning mix is served on Crispy Crowns and is one of the most popular recipes on my site! I wanted to find more ways to use it and this was the perfect recipe for it!
This recipe makeover is a stunner! You will not believe the difference – and I think it tastes even better than the original.
So the recipe makeover?! Yes! I started out by using ground chicken instead of ground beef – in a casserole – especially with seasoning – you can’t tell the difference. Then I used a low fat cream of mushroom soup to help take out some of the unnecessary calories. The last major changes were less tots/crowns and less cheese. With this version – you still get crispy potato in every bite without using an entire bag – and you still get the cheesy flavor – but it’s just much lighter!
I know how popular Weight Watchers is – so I used the freestyle points calculator on both recipes and you will not believe the difference! The original recipe is 21 points per serving!!! (To set the stage – you might get 24 points for a whole day!) My Skinny version has FOUR POINTS PER SERVING!!
The other change I made is that Taco John’s Potato Ole Seasoning Mix! I doubled down on it by mixing it into the ground chicken when I browned it and put it on top before I baked it. This seasoning mix does have a kick to it – so if you’re not a fan of spicy – then just add a little less in each place.
You will love this new Skinny version and your family will never know the difference! It’s such simple changes that we made and now it’s something you can truly enjoy without feeling like you’re overindulging! Go for it!
Skinny Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp taco johns seasoning mix
- 1 can light cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cripsy crowns (or tater tots)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- preheat oven to 350
- heat oil in skillet – or if you’re using nonstick – you can skip the oil
- brown chicken and mushrooms until cooked through
- add taco johns seasoning and stir
- add cream of mushroom soup and stir
- put in 8×8 baking dish
- top with crispy crowns
- if you like it spicy – sprinkle top with additional taco johns seasoning mix
- bake for 30 minutes
- remove and add cheese (no need to put back in oven – it’s such a small amount it melts quick)