That’s why this recipe was a great starter! You start out with it on the “brown/saute” setting and brown the ground beef (or ground pork) and onions. I didn’t worry if it was a little pink because I know it’s going to get cooked more.
From there you layer on the ingredients – and one tip was DO NOT STIR! The noodles will float to the top and you want the liquid on the bottom. Also – yes – you use UNCOOKED noodles – that was the question I had to ask Alli when I was making this – they cook in the EPC.
When it came out – it was perfect! The noodles were al dente – still with a little bite to them – and even the onions had texture still – nothing was mushy. I am making this recipe again this week – and adding mushrooms to the mix! (of course – I love mushrooms!)
Chef Alli’s Creamy Penne Pasta with Ground Beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (or 3 cloves)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 8 oz mini penne pasta (uncooked)
- 24 oz jar marinara
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 brick cream cheese, cubed
- Set Electric Pressure Cooker (EPC) to saute setting and add olive oil to pot
- When oil is hot, add onions, garlic and ground beef. Brown until beef is no longer pink. Drain fat from pot.
- Add salt, basil and oregano, stir gently
- Evenly pour shells over ground beef in EPC, then add marinara sauce and water. DO NOT STIR!!! I REPEAT – DO NOT STIR!!!
- Lock EPC lid into place and switch to High Pressure setting for 5 minutes (on mine – I had to select Chili – then High Pressure)
- When timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all pressure from EPC. Remove lid.
- Stir in milk, parmesan, mozzarella and cream cheese
You can swap the milk/cream cheese for 1 cup whipping cream. Next time, I'll add mushrooms too.
Follow Chef Alli on Facebook - she does a Facebook Live every Thursday with a new EPC recipe!