This Steak Dipping Sauce recipe is so simple to make and it is a great complement to any steak dinner! A rich butter sauce with Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and lots of herbs & spices. Also known as Cowboy Butter Dipping Sauce, you’ll want this every time you make steak!
What You Will ❤️ About Steak Dipping Sauce
- Quick and Easy – this recipe is ready in five minutes!
- Versatile – you can serve this recipe with steak – but it would also be great over grilled chicken or grilled salmon! Or even a dipping sauce for crusty bread!
- Make Ahead – I like to make this while my steak is cooking, but you could easily make this ahead of time and just reheat to serve. Which also makes it great for leftovers!
Steak Dipping Sauce Ingredients
Just a handful of ingredients blended together will give your steak an amazing pop of taste with citrus and herb flavors!
- Butter – salted or unsalted – I prefer salted
- Lemon – you’ll zest the whole lemon and use juice from 1/2
- Seasonings: garlic salt, red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, salt & black pepper
- Sauces – Worcestershire sauce & Dijon mustard
How to Make Cowboy Butter Dipping Sauce
This is garlic butter sauce is super easy to make and you can make it in the microwave by melting the butter and adding everything – but I think it mixes together better on the stove top.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add with all remaining ingredients and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour all ingredients into a blender (or food processor) and pulse for 5 seconds.
- Pour into small bowls and serve with steak
This post contains affiliate links which I make a little money on purchases. Thanks in advance! I am an Amazon associate as well as a member of other affiliate programs.
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
Yes! You can microwave the butter and pour into a blender with the remaining ingredients.
You could softened butter instead of melted butter for a thicker sauce or just let the sauce sit for a bit to cool off.
Check your Worcestershire sauce to be sure.
Yes! Just reheat in the microwave or scoop out spoonfuls and serve on top of your steak.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can freeze up to three months. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Steak Butter Sauce Variations
This is a great steak sauce recipe that you can tweak based on what you love! Here are some ideas:
- Smoky Flavor – add a little smoked paprika or smoked chipotle for more heat.
- Fresh Herbs – add more fresh herbs like chives, thyme and basil.
- Citrus Swap – swap the lemon for lime juice & zest and add cilantro for a new flavor profile!
- Dairy Free – you could use a plant-based butter for this to be dairy free. Omit the Worcestershire if you’d like it to be Vegan as well.
- Spicy – adding Sriracha or Gochujang sauce or cayenne pepper will give this a kick!
What to serve with Steak Sauce
Great Steak Side Dishes
- Cheddar’s Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Mary Mac’s Oven Baked Macaroni & Cheese
Steak Dipping Sauce
- In a saucepan, melt butter.2 sticks salted butter
- Add all remaining ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Turn off heat and let cool for 1-2 min.1 tbsp lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp fresh parsley, 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pour all ingredients into blender and pulse for 5 seconds to emulsify.
- Pour into tiny bowls and serve with steak.