This Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta is quick to make and you can have it as spicy as you like! Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras won’t know what hit ’em! Pasta mixed with shrimp, andouille, onions, peppers & mushrooms all smothered in a spicy creamy tomato sauce! It’s heavenly!
What You Will ❤️ About Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Pasta
- 30 Minutes – You won’t be in the kitchen all night with this meal!
- Spicy As You Like – Customize to how you like it with the Cajun seasoning – trust me – a little goes a long way!
- Shrimp & Sausage – It’s a delicious combination that goes great with this Slap Ya Mama seasoning
Cajun Pasta Recipe Ingredients
This creamy cajun shrimp pasta dish with sausage also basically is a one-pot dish! You cook your pasta but then the rest of the meal goes together in one big skillet! The tomato cream sauce is similar to a light tomato alfredo sauce – it’s so good!
- Pasta – I used penne but you can use whatever you like from macaroni, fettuccine or bowties (farfalle)
- Don’t want your pasta to boil over? Set a wooden spoon across the top of the pot!
- Protein – shrimp & andouille sausage
- Shrimp – be sure to use RAW large shrimp, peeled & deveined. I pop the tails off before cooking so you’re not digging in your food when you eat. (I don’t like to devein the shrimp – ew)
- Sausage – Andouille is great but you can also use Italian, smoked or chicken sausage, chorizo or even bratwurst.
- Veggies – yellow onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms & crushed tomatoes
- Cajun Seasoning – I like Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning and used 2 tablespoon of cajun seasoning but adjust to your spice level
- Want more spice? Add red pepper flakes!
- Sauce: butter, milk (or heavy cream), chicken stock & Parmesan cheese
- Other items: garlic, olive oil, cornstarch & green onions
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
I used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning. It’s available everywhere and has a good kick. They have a hot version – but I went for the regular and it was plenty hot for me!! Taste as you go so you don’t over-spice!
Anymore – not much. Originally cajun seasoning blends were a simpler mix and it’s a bit spicier. Cajun has lots of cayenne pepper where the creole adds other herbs like oregano, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and more. Both are FULL OF FLAVOR!
No – you could use 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water make the sauce. The starches from the pasta will help thicken the sauce and coat the pasta.
Store leftovers in an airtight container (I like these glass ones) in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can freeze up to three months. Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
How do you make Cajun shrimp pasta recipe?
This spicy shrimp & sausage pasta dish is quick to start and comes together in thirty minutes!
- PASTA: Start your pasta – boil a large pot of water and cook according to package directions for al dente pasta. When done – drain & set aside.
- SAUTEED SHRIMP: While your pasta is cooking, in a bowl, toss shrimp with cajun seasoning and make sure it is well coated.
- Heat a large saute pan (or even a Dutch oven) over medium high heat and pour olive oil in pan. Add shrimp & cook for 2-3 minutes until pink. Remove and set aside.
- SAUSAGE: Add the cut-up sausage to the same large skillet. Cook sausage until heated through, about 3 minutes each side. Add to plate with shrimp and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 3 tablespoons olive oil – still on medium-high heat. Scrape up all the browned bits in the bottom of pan and add onion, red pepper, mushrooms and cajun seasoning. Cook until the veggies are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook and stir about 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, milk and butter. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the corn starch and cajun seasoning and whisk immediately so corn starch doesn’t clump. Stir and simmer for five minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add in romano, cooked pasta, shrimp and sausage. Toss all ingredients together and continue simmering until heated through – about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in big pasta bowls and garnish with green onions and parsley with crusty French bread
Creamy Cajun Pasta Variations
- Cool it off – Not a big spice fan – just sprinkle your shrimp with a little and leave the rest out!
- Veggies – add more veggies or less – peppers & onions are pretty standard but you could even add broccoli
- Air Fryer – Want to save a few calories? Air fry the shrimp & sausage!
- Wine – Add 1/4 cup of white wine to your sauce for an extra kick!
Cajun & Mardi Gras Recipes
If you like this Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta – I’ve got other great New Orleans style recipes for you!
- My favorite is this Breakfast Gumbo! It’s a copycat from an Alabama gas station (yes!!) and it’s so good!
- You have to have King Cake & these are the best King Cake Bites!
- And you can always make your own Cajun/Creole seasoning!
More Shrimp Recipes
More Pasta Recipes
Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Pasta Recipe
- 1.5 cups dry penne
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp peeled, deveined, tail removed
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz andouille sausage 2 links
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced 1" chunks
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup parmesan or romano grated
- 2-3 green onions diced
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling water that has been salted. Cook to package directions.1.5 cups dry penne
- Remove pasta from water and drain. Set aside.
- While your pasta is cooking, in a bowl, toss shrimp with cajun seasoning and make sure it is well coated.1/2 lb raw shrimp
- Heat a LARGE skillet over medium-high heat and pour olive oil in pan.2 tbsp olive oil
- Add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes. Turn shrimp and cook another minute, or until pink.
- Remove shrimp from pan to a plate, set aside.
- Add the cut-up sausage to the same pan. Cook sausage until heated through, about 3 minutes each side. Add to plate with shrimp and set aside.4 oz andouille sausage
- In the same pan, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and then the onion, red pepper, mushrooms and cajun seasoning. Cook until the veggies are soft, about 3-5 minutes.3 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 yellow onion, 1/2 red pepper, 4 oz mushrooms, 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
- Add minced garlic and cook and stir about 30 seconds.2 cloves garlic
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, milk and butter. Bring to a simmer.1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 2/3 cup milk, 3 tbsp butter
- Add the corn starch and cajun seasoning and whisk immediately so corn starch doesn’t clump. While stirring, scrape the pan with tongs to get up any brown bits from the bottom. Simmer for about 5 minutes until sauce thickens.1 tbsp cornstarch, 2 tbsp Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
- Add in romano, cooked pasta, shrimp and sausage. Toss all ingredients together and continue simmering until heated through – about 2-3 minutes.3/4 cup parmesan or romano
- Top with green onions2-3 green onions
Leave a Reply