This Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt is one of my favorites from Panera Bread! Pulled chicken, smoked Gouda, fresh avocado, cilantro, zesty sweet peppers and chipotle sauce on fresh baked focaccia.
What You Will ❤️ About Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt
- Panera Favorite! It’s one of the favorites for everyone at Panera for good reason – it’s delicious!
- Cool & Spicy! The creamy avocado cools off that spicy chipotle sauce!
- Leftover Chicken! This sandwich is a great use for leftover chicken – change those leftovers into a delicious sandwich!
This post contains affiliate links which I make a little money on purchases. Thanks in advance! I am an Amazon associate as well as a member of other affiliate programs.
Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt Ingredients
Panera’s Chicken Avocado Melt is delicious and I’ve got all the shortcuts you need to make it super easy at home!
- Black Pepper Focaccia Bread
- Smoked Pulled Chicken
- Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Sweet Peppers
- Chipotle Sauce – mayo + Chipotle seasoning
- Focaccia – You can use pre-baked focaccia from the bakery section or the kind in the tube in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Or swap with ciabatta or sourdough bread.
- Pulled Chicken – You can use any leftover chicken – I make this Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot and it would be perfect for this!
- Cheese – you can find sliced smoked gouda at the grocery – regular gouda is fine too – or even provolone in a pinch – but the smokiness is great if you can find it!
- Sliced sweet peppers – they use Peppadew piquant peppers but I had a jar of Marinated Sweet Cherry Peppers and they worked just fine
- Chipotle Sauce – I like using the dry seasoning instead of the canned and mix with mayonnaise to make the Chipotle sauce. Or – go the easy route – and use the Ortega Chipotle Sauce (it’s really good and at most grocery stores)
How do you make the Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt?
- Mix together your chipotle sauce by mixing chipotle pepper seasoning & mayonnaise – set aside
- Slice focaccia into sandwich sized slices
- Reheat pulled chicken in microwave for 30-40 seconds
- On bottom of sandwich, spread 1 tbsp chipotle mayo
- Top with cilantro, pulled chicken, sliced sweet peppers and one slice gouda
- On top half of bread, spread 1 tbsp chipotle mayo and one slice gouda
- Lay open faced on pan
- Preheat broiler and place sandwich open face on low for 5 min until cheese is bubbly
- Remove open faced sandwich from oven/air fryer
- Place avocado slices on top of cheese and place sandwich halves together
Tips, Tricks and FAQs
Yes – you can use a premade version – like the one from Ortega. You can mix your own with canned chipotles in adobo sauce but a little bit goes a long way! Or use the dry seasoning like I did! I like the dry seasoning because it has all the flavor but is so much easier to use.
Yup – just heat open faced for 3-4 min – you’ll probably need toothpicks to hold the cheese down.
They’re jarred and marinated in oil – you could use those fresh mini sweet peppers but they’ll be much crunchier.
Nope – just leave it out!
There are 940 calories in a whole sandwich and 470 in a half sandwich at Panera. My sandwich comes in at 585 calories.
What to serve with the Chipotle Chicken Melt?
Panera loves their “You Pick Two” – so you can make one of their soups or salads to serve with the sandwich!
Other Panera Sandwich Recipes…
Copycat Panera Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt
- Mix together chipotle pepper seasoning & mayonnaise1/2 tsp Chipotle Pepper seasoning, 3 tbsp Duke's mayonnaise
- Slice focaccia into sandwich sized slices4 slices focaccia bread
- Reheat pulled chicken in microwave for 30-40 seconds1 cup pulled chicken
- Preheat broiler on low
- On bottom of sandwich, spread 1 tbsp chipotle mayo
- Top with cilantro, pulled chicken, sliced sweet peppers and one slice gouda4 slices smoked gouda, fresh cilantro, 1/4 cup bottled sweet peppers, 1 cup pulled chicken
- On top half of but, spread 1 tbsp chipotle mayo and one slice gouda4 slices smoked gouda
- Lay open faced on parchment paper covered cookie sheet
- Broil on low for 5 min until cheese is bubbly and melted
- Remove sandwich from oven
- Place avocado slices on top of cheese and place halves together1 avocado
- Focaccia bread – I couldn’t find pre-baked focaccia at Kroger so I bought a can of the rollout dough. I baked it in just 6-7 minutes in my Instant Pot Omni Pro Air Fryer – it’s got a bunch of different settings. I did bake but it was still quicker than the instructions. If you’ve got pre-made focaccia near you – you can use that!
- Pulled chicken – Panera uses a smoked chicken but for this recipe – I just used a frozen pulled chicken I got at Kroger – you can use any cooked chicken – I make this Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot and it would be perfect for this!
- Sliced sweet peppers – they use Peppadew peppers but I had a jar of Marinated Sweet Cherry Peppers and they worked just fine
- Chipotle pepper seasoning – I like using the dry seasoning instead of the canned – then I’m not left with a can of pepper I won’t use and you can control the spice level. Or – go the easy route – and use the Ortega Chipotle Sauce (it’s really good and at most grocery stores)
Can I use the air fryer instead of the broiler? Yup – just heat open faced for 3-4 min – you’ll probably need toothpicks to hold the cheese down.For the peppers are they fresh or canned? They’re jarred and marinated in oil – you could use those fresh mini sweet peppers but they’ll be much crunchier.I don’t like cilantro – do I need to use it? Nope – just leave it out!**We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box are calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**