This copycat Panera Frontega Chicken Sandwich is filled with smoky pulled chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes and more all on crunchy focaccia bread. I made this at home with fresh baked bread and fresh ingredients and it was even more delicious than the Panera version!
I love everything that’s stuffed into this – cheese, tomato and basil – um yes please! For the bread – I couldn’t find any pre-made focaccia at my store so I bought the kind in the roll that you bring home and bake – super simple!
What’s comes on the Panera Frontega Chicken Sandwich?
Panera’s version has smoked, pulled chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, red onions, fresh basil and chipotle sauce on Black Pepper Focaccia. It’s such a perfect summer sandwich – with basil, tomatoes and onions and then delicious FRESH mozzarella is what makes the sandwich.
How do you make the Frontega Chicken at home?
For the chicken – I have a recipe for Smoked Chicken Breast – if you have a smoker grill – it’s definitely tasty. Just make a big batch and save some for this sandwich! If you want something quicker and easier – you can also make pre-marinated chicken breasts in your air fryer!
For the bread – I couldn’t find fresh focaccia bread at my grocery but there was the kind in the roll in the refrigerated section. The nice thing about this is you can add what you want to it when you bake it! Panera’s is a cracked pepper focaccia – but I don’t love pepper – so I added olive oil and italian seasoning.
From there – stack it up!!!
- Mix up your Chipotle sauce by mixing Chipotle Pepper sauce and mayo together – that’s it!!!
- On your fresh baked focaccia, schmear chipotle sauce on both sides of the bread
- Top that with basil, pulled chicken, FRESH mozzarella, tomatoes and red onion
- Smush the sandwich down a bit
- I wanted the mozzarella to melt a little so I popped it in the air fryer for 2 min at 350 – you could also put it in a panini press or even on the stove
What goes with Panera sandwiches?
Of course the best thing to eat with a Panera sandwich are Panera soups, sandwiches and mac & cheese! Here are my favorites:
Panera Frontega Chicken Sandwich
- 1/4 cup Duke's mayonnaise
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/2 loaf focaccia bread cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cooked chicken breast smoked, pulled
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella ball
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- If needed, bake focaccia bread according to package directions. Top with olive oil, coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper before baking.
- While bread is baking, mix together mayo & chipotle sauce and set aside in refrigerator
- Once the bread is baked, cut 1/2 loaf into quarters. and use two slices for each sandwich.
- Top each slice with chipotle sauce.
- From there, layer on basil, chicken, slices of mozzarella, tomato and onion.
- Smush the sandwich down a bit.
- If you'd like to melt the cheese a little, you can pop it in the air fryer or a skillet for 2-3 minutes. (Air Fryer – 350 for 2-3 min, Skillet – medium heat 1-2 minutes per side)