I came across this recipe for Weight Loss Soup and it looked pretty good but I wanted to jazz it up a bit to suit my needs. The thing is – I love lots of STUFF in my vegetable soup – so I added some items. It was interesting to see some of the “weight loss” properties in the ingredients: (from SkipToMyLou.com)
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and other natural acids that help your liver break down fat faster.
- Beans can stabilize blood sugar which reduces the amount of fat storage hormones our bodies make.
- Onions are loaded with chromium, which also helps with fat storage hormones.
- Garlic might actually keep pre-fat cells turning into fat cells.
- Mushrooms provide protein, vitamin C and iron.
- Bell peppers contain beta-carotene, which gives you antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits
The rest of the soup came together with what was in my fridge – mushrooms are a must! I also had carrots, onions, black beans and tomatoes. Then I added ditalini pasta – it’s my favorite for a soup. It’s bite sized and no awkward biting off of super long noodles. And can I tell you – it took less than 30 minutes to make!!
What emerged was a delicious and hearty vegetable soup! Here’s one tip as well – when I make soup and add the pasta in – it soaks up all of the liquid! So a couple of helpful ideas for this:
- Always buy extra V8 juice! It’s my secret weapon for tomato-based soups – if it gets thick – add a little more V8! And take a swig while you’re at it – that stuff is fantastic for you!
- Cook the pasta separately and just add it in before you serve it! Especially great if you have leftovers – save that pasta out in a bag and add it before you serve. This way the pasta doesn’t have time to soak up all the liquid.