Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls are so tasty and I think the best version of sausage balls. If you haven’t had them before – now’s the time to make them! This is a great recipe for a quick and party food favorite – but they also reheat really well.
If you’re not familiar – the basic sausage balls have sausage (duh), Bisquick and cheese – from there you can add lots of ingredients. This combines delicious Pimento Cheese with the basic sausage ball recipe (one of my favorite recipes!). Little nuggets of joy!
Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls Ingredients
Pimento cheese is something you MUST MAKE – like right now! It’s a favorite Southern Snack that I’ve become addicted to!
You can also buy pre-made pimento cheese (12-ounce tubs work for this recipe) and then just add the last two ingredients to turn your new favorite dip into sausage balls!
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 4 oz diced pimento
- 1 lb breakfast pork sausage
- You can also use spicy sausage if you want a kick or a turkey sausage if you want something healthier
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick original pancake mix
- OPTIONAL: red pepper flakes or green chilies would be a great addition to make spicy pimiento cheese sausage balls
How to make pimento cheese sausage balls?
First you have to start by making pimento cheese. I’m just going to tell you now – you’re going to want to make a double batch of this simple recipe – cuz I was nibbling a little too much! So good!
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayo, garlic powder, sharp cheddar and a jar of diced pimentos.
- You’ll likely need a hand mixer for this as the cream cheese is pretty thick at first.
- That one step is all you need for straight up pimento cheese! If you want to use this creamy pimento cheese for the sausage balls – make sure there are not chips or crackers within arms reach!
- Step 2: Add sausage and Bisquick and mix with hand mixer until fully incorporated
- Step 3: Using a small or medium cookie scoop, spoon the sausage mixture onto a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Step 4: Bake or air fry until golden brown!
- Oven Instructions: Place sheet pans in preheated oven. Bake 15-20 minutes
- Air Fryer Instructions: Spray basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place sausage balls in a single layer in air fryer basket. Air fry at 375 for 10 minutes
How to reheat sausage balls?
Yes! I made these in a household of one – so I had leftovers! I reheated them in the air fryer and the microwave – just to see which was better. Personally – I like the air fryer better (5 min at 350) but if you don’t have one – the microwave is just fine.
Here’s a secret use for them to – ON A SALAD! I work from home right now and eat a salad pretty much every day. I couldn’t let these leftover pimento cheese sausage balls go to waste – so I heated them up and had them on salad! Then I added tomatoes, avocado, tortilla strips and my creamy jalapeno ranch – delicious!
Can you freeze sausage balls?
Yup! Yes – I would recommend freezing before you bake them. First I would roll them into balls and put them on parchment lined cookie sheets. Freeze them for an hour – then take them out and you can pop them in a ziploc bag. When you’re ready to bake – take them out and thaw in the fridge overnight and bake (or air fry!).
Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
- Preheat oven to 375 (if using oven vs air fryer)
- Whip cream cheese, mayo and garlic until smooth8 oz cream cheese, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Fold in cheese and pimentos8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, 4 oz diced pimento
- Break up raw breakfast sausage and put in with cream cheese mixture and mix until all combined1 lb breakfast sausage
- Add in Biscuick and mix well1 1/2 cups Bisquick
- Line 2+ cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using medium cookie scoop, scoop sausage mixture onto parchment cookie sheets
- Roll scoops into balls and freeze for 30 minutes
- Oven Instructions: Bake 15-20 minutes – switching pan location halfway through
- Air Fryer Instructions: Air Fry at 375 for 10 minutes